Mexican Chopped Salad is a yummy salad full of southwest flavors to help kick off the summer…
Chickpeas Salad with Pesto and Feta is a healthy and delicious salad that pulls together the summer flavors of fresh basil and parsley. The addition of smooth creamy feta and just a splash of red wine vinegar makes this salad a wonderful salad to serve to your family and friends on a warm summer day.
Having chickpeas on had for this salad is easy to do. To learn how to can your own chickpeas step by step be sure and visit my page Canning Chickpeas.
This Chickpeas Salad with Pesto and Feta is very easy to make, especially if you have canned your chickpeas yourself. When canning chickpeas I have found they create a thick jelly like starch around them that I rinse off for this salad. However, this is a great thickening agent if you are making Hummus.
For a step by step guide on how to can your own chickpeas be sure and visit my post Canning Chickpeas. Canning chickpeas yourself yields a superior product and opens the door to creating unique flavors not found in common grocery store cans of chickpeas.
A very fresh tasting pesto with a little zip by adding the parsley
- 2 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and nuts in the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
When I make my Basil and Parsley Pesto I usually triple the batch and then freeze the pesto in ice cube trays. After 24 hours I will pop them out of the trays and place them into a large ziplock bag. That way I have fresh pesto when ever I want it all winter long.
- 2 cups of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Basil and Parsley Pesto
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- Place chickpeas, pesto, vinegar in a bowl
- Gently stir, making sure not to mash the chickpeas
- Pour feta in the bowl and gently toss
- This is good served at room temperature or chilled