I’m sharing a secret with you, one of the best ways to make easy delicious homemade chicken soup is to start with a rotisserie chicken. It is the base to my Greek Lemon Rotisserie Chicken and Rice Soup, which is always a hit with family and friends on a cold weather day.
I always buy several extra rotisserie chickens when they go on sale at the store. When I get home I place them in a freezer bag and freeze until I need one for a quick and easy soup recipe.
I defrost the whole bird in the bag in my microwave or place it in the refrigerator 24 hours before I need it. I then pick all the meat off, down to the tiny bits on the wings and place in a bowl to refrigerate until needed. Next I place the carcass into a large stock pot and cover with 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth, just enough to not quite cover the bird. I bring this to a boil then reduce heat, cover the pot and allow to simmer for around 1 and 1/2 hours. Your house will smell amazing, just a warning! After stock has cooked, drain broth through a colander lined with cheese cloth and discard bones.
This technique works great for most chicken and stock based recipes such as this Greek Lemon Rotisserie Chicken and Rice Soup. You might also like to try this with my Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 5 or more cups of chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup jasmin rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Pick all the meat off of 1 whole rotisserie chicken placing meat in a bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Next place the carcass into a large stock pot and cover with 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth, just enough to not quite cover the bird.
- Bring this to a boil then reduce heat, cover the pot and allow to simmer for around 1 and 1/2 hours.
- After stock has cooked, drain broth through a colander lined with cheese cloth and discard bones. Return stock to large stock pot. Add enough canned chicken broth if needed to have 10 cups of stock.
- Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil in a sauce pan until onions are transparent, about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add cooked onions and garlic to stock.
- Add chicken, carrots, bay leaves, basil, thyme, greek seasoning, parsley and lemon juice to stock.
- Simmer 20 minutes
- Add rice cook until tender about 20 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves, add peas, cook 3 minutes and serve.