Italian Style Stuffed Paleo Peppers, are made with sweet bell peppers stuffed with Italian herbs and organic beef to create a delicious and healthy one-dish paleo meal for your family.
It has been one of those times in life where one realizes what we are doing is not the best way to go about life. I had given up buying and squeezing into my normal pants size once and for all. I bit the bullet and bought the biggest size I had ever gotten before. Yes, it was depressing, but comfort outweighed my pride.
It was time; I had to make a lifestyle change. I started researching, listening to podcasts and reading how a mid menopausal lady could lose the fat that is starting to happily layer itself to my hips. After much consideration, I purchased Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle by Diane Sanfilippo
I needed a clear, no-nonsense diet that made the greatest impact on my overall health, not just my waistline. After reading through Practical Paleo, it became clear that the changes I needed to make and Diane was going to help me do it without feeling like I was missing out on something.
After a month in a half, I am excited to report I have lost 10 of the 15 pounds of my goal. I have thoroughly enjoyed the recipes in Diane’s book . They have helped me change my eating habits and enjoy doing it.
Today I am sharing with you one of my favorite recipes I have tried so far, Italian Style Stuffed Paleo Peppers. They were quick and easy to prepare ahead and then bake at dinner time.
- 2 bell peppers, halved and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
- ½ cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1 pound ground organic beef
- 6 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Extra basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the bell pepper halves in a roasting dish face down for 10 to 15 minutes. (You can skip this step if you want to keep the peppers more firm or raw.)
- While the bell peppers are cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions in coconut oil, adding sea salt and black pepper to taste, until they're translucent and slightly browned on the edges.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic, and simmer for about two minutes.
- Add the meat, and cook until fully done. Taste the mixture, and adjust seasoning to your liking. Mix in the chopped basil.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, they should be just a bit softened.
- Flip them over. Spoon the stuffing mixture into each one. You can go ahead and eat them at this point, or put them back in the oven for five to 10 minutes to allow the flavors of the bell pepper and the meat mixture to blend together more.
Nutrition Italian Style Stuffed Paleo Peppers