Fresh spinach with a creamy low carb florentine sauce makes this chicken dish a wonderful choice for a healthy dinner.
Our family is trying to eat healthy and lose a few pounds, so I wanted to create a recipe that was so full of creamy goodness that they wouldn’t even realize it was a healthy low carb recipe.
The florentine cream sauce is easy to make, consisting of something that might seem unusual. I decided to use low fat cottage cheese as my base dairy because it is very low in carbs, only 8 grams in the whole recipe which serves 4. The key to the creamy sauce was to blend the cottage cheese, mayonnaise, and parmesan cheese together in food processor. After they were smooth, I tossed in fresh spinach and blended until it was finely chopped.
I also cut carbs in this recipe by using Kraft Olive Oil Mayonnaise which is lower in calories and fat than regular mayonnaise. Also, olive oil is full of good fats for our diet.
Low Carb Chicken Florentine was a hit with the whole family, even to those that were sure they would not like it do to the fact it had spinach.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 - 5 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 cup Kraft olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 cup parmesan cheese shredded (don't use the green can kind, just freshly grated)
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a covered 8x8 baking dish and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- After chicken is done drain chicken broth.
- Place Parmesan, mayonnaise and cottage cheese in a food processor, blend until smooth.
- Add spinach to food processor and process until it is chopped small.
- Spread cream sauce on top of chicken.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 more minutes.