Yummy Cheesy Pasta is an easy to make dish using fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic then generously tossing in six kinds of cheese, wrapping each bite of noodles with gooey cheesy goodness.
My sister would make this dish for my kids whenever they went to visit her and it became a family favorite tradition. It is a simple dish to make using fresh produce, cheeses and whole wheat pasta which also makes it a healthy and satisfying dinner.
Fresh basil is a must for this recipe. I have found it cheaper to buy a whole plant growing in a pot or one of those grow bags in the produce section. There is just something so Italian about the smell of fresh basil! The photo below was taken when I visited a basil farm just outside of Allasio, Italy. What an amazing and good smelling farm.
If you are having company this dish is an easy way to get your guest involved in cooking with you. Invite them into the kitchen when they arrive, pour them a glass of wine, put on some good italian music and have them help with some dicing and grading. One person could grade cheese, another mince garlic and dice tomatoes while someone else could be in charge of boiling a pot of noodles. Sharing work in the kitchen creates an atmosphere of relaxed hospitality, it sort of makes someone feel like family.
I have found a Prepworks Chopper very helpful when dicing tomatoes. I especially use it during canning season when I have bushels of tomatoes to cut up. It is also handy when you want tomato pieces cut a uniform size in dishes like this Yummy Cheesy Pasta. You can pick up a Prepworks Progressive Fruit and Vegetable Chopper at Amazon. It will become a gadget favorite!
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti noodles (spiral pasta is good also)
- 3 medium size tomatoes diced
- 1 cup of fresh chopped basil leaves
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup of each type of cheese shredded: parmesan, provolone, Romano, fontina, and asiago
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute
- Add tomatoes, saute 2 minutes
- Add basil and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes
- Cook pasta al dente and drain
- In a large serving bowl, mix cooked pasta and sauce together.
- Add cheeses and toss.
- Cover bowl for one minute to help cheeses melt then serve immediately.