Simple sweet pound cake to southerners is as traditional as Augusta National is to golf. So it’s safe to say, Augusta National Sour Cream Pound Cake is the pinnacle of southern pound cake recipes, with smooth sour cream and sweet buttery flavor.
- 2 sticks butter soften to room temperature (only use real butter!)
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 8-ounce carton sour cream
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar well.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir soda into sour cream, allowing it to dissolve.
- Add flour and sour cream to butter mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into a greased and floured tube or bundt pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour (place the cake in a cold oven, and then set the temperature. While baking, do not open oven).
- Continue baking at 325 degrees for 15 minutes longer.
- Cool on a rack for 10-15 minutes and remove to a plate or cooling rack.
I use a 6 cup bundt pan similar to this one.