The best Pimento Cheese Crackers recipe is easy to make with only 4 simple ingredients.…
Savory Blue Cheese Crackers with garlic and parmesan are perfect for a warm late night snack with fruit or an appetizer with cocktails when company comes.
The star player in these crackers is definitely the blue cheese. It is a unique tasting cheese and according to my family a unique smelling, cheese to say the least. (they were holding their noses while the crackers baked) The blue-green marbling characteristic is mold in the cheese curd which comes from a strain of penicillin called “roqueforti.” The aroma and taste of the cheese depends on the intensity of the cure, as well as the shape, size, composition and surface of the cheese, the climate of the curing cellar, and the length of ripening.
I have discovered a wonderfully smooth, creamy tasting blue cheese on one of my visits to Trader Joe’s (I drive 70 miles to get there, totally worth it!) Trader Joe’s Blue Stilton is made by a premier Stilton cheesemaker in the district of Nottinghamshire, one of the three English counties in which stilton production is allowed.
I found this cracker recipe over at Diethood and I really wanted to try them because her photos made them look so good. I was pleasantly surprised as to how easy it was to make these blue cheese crackers, just whipping up all the ingredients in my food processor, rolling out and coating with seeds. I did add poppy seeds to my recipe for the outside coating, I like the taste and texture they add to the cracker. Also, I coated both sides for the cracker with an egg wash before baking, it seemed to help them brown up better.
Another great thing about these crackers is they can be made ahead, freeze the dough logs then when company is coming, coat with seeds, slice, and bake for a warm yummy appetizer.
Blue Cheese Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic minced
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4- ounces crumbled blue cheese Trader Joe's Blue Stilton
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sesame seeds and poppy seeds mixed
- Combine flour, salt, garlic and parmesan cheese in food processor's bowl using a dough blade.
- Pulse on and off until well combined, scraping bowl if needed.
- Add blue cheese and butter; pulse until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add 2 tablespoons water while machine is running. If it seems to crumbly add another tablespoon water until it forms a dough ball.
- Transfer dough to a floured working area and shape dough into a log about 2-inches in diameter.
- Wrap in parchment paper and freeze for 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove dough from freezer, unwrap
- Whisk egg and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl until blended.
- Generously brush the dough with egg wash.
- Roll and sprinkle the dough with sesame and poppy seeds.
- Cut into ¼-inch rounds.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops and bottoms of the crackers with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks.