The combination of pears and brandy together create an elegant and delicious compote when you make this Brandy Spiced Pear Compote.
- 15 large pears, about 6 lbs
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger powder
- 1 cup brandy
- Wash pears and lemon under cold running water, scrubbing well.
- Peel, cut pears in half then core and dice into cubes.
- Finely chop lemon, including peel, using a food processor
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat stirring to prevent sticking
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Ladle hat compote into hat jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe clean the jar rims.
- Center lid on jar and adjust band to fingertip-tight
- Place jars on the rack elevated over simmering water, about 180 degrees in a boiling water bath canner
- Lower the rack into simmering water being sure jars are covered by 1 inch of water
- Adjust heat to medium high, cover canner and bring to a rolling boil
- Process pints 25 minutes
- Turn off heat and remove cover.
- Let jars cool 5 minutes.
- Remove jars from canner and allow to cool 12 hours before removing rings.
- Test seals, label and date. Store in a cool dry place.