Hungry for a Big Mac but don’t want the calories? Try whipping up a light and delicious Cheeseburger Salad with Big Mac Sauce Salad Dressing to satisfy your hunger.
When I started making my cheeseburger salad for dinner tonight, that song just started playing over and over in my head. We all know that the real secret to McDonald’s yummy Big Mac is their special sauce smothered all over the burger. You need a handful of napkins by the time you are finished eating it.
I was looking for a light version of a Big Mac and came up with the idea of ditching the bun and adding lots of extra lettuce to create a salad. I used 90/10 hamburger and low-fat cheese.
For the Mac Sauce dressing, I used low carb olive oil mayonnaise as the base for my dressing. I also used Splenda sweetened pickle relish to save a few calories. Now if calories don’t matter and your just in the mood for a salad by all means use regular mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish.
Cheeseburger Salad with Mac Sauce Dressing
Note: Be sure to read through the recipe’s post for tips and details about this recipe.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, sweetened with Splenda
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar or 1 packet of stevia
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce or more if you like it spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese finely shredded
- dill pickle slices for garnish
- In a small bowl add mayonnaise, ketchup, vinegar, relish, 2 tablespoons minced onion, sugar, sriracha sauce and salt. Whisk together until creamy and smooth, set aside
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, then add 1 medium sweet onion chopped. Sautee until tender.
- Stir in sesame seeds into onions
- Dish onions and sesame seeds out into a bowl.
- Fry hamburger in frying pan until browned and crumbly, about 12 minutes
- Drain in fat off the hamburger and then add onions and sesame seeds, stirring to combin
- Place lettuce in a large salad bowl, top with hamburger mixture
- Add dressing and toss
- Sprinkle cheese in, toss and serve immediately