Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is a delicious creamy soup with bacon and a unique lemon zest flavor
- 1 box Uncle Ben’s Brown and Wild Rice or Ready Whole Grain Medley
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (measured from 3 14.5 oz cans)
- 1/4 tsp of each dried thyme, poultry seasoning and sage.
- 1 tsp dried rosemary crumbled
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb cooked and shredded chicken or turkey
- 1 lb cooked crisp bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 zest from one lemon
- Prepare rice according to directions listed on package.
- In a separate large pot, melt 4 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and saute until slightly tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
- Add chicken broth, thyme, poultry seasoning, sage, rosemary and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add chicken and simmer soup for 30 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan heat up olive oil over medium heat then add flour to make a rough, simmer whisking until light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour milk and whipping cream into mixture. Cook stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Add milk mixture to soup mixture in pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly
- Reduce heat, add shredded chicken or turkey, cooked rice, bacon pieces, and lemons zest
- Simmer 10 minutes and serve