Nothing says comfort food better than homemade mac n cheese however, if you are looking to jazz it up a bit for a special dinner you need to serve this wildly scrumptious Gouda Mac n Cheese recipe.
- 6 oz lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated 1 year old Gouda cheese (not the cheap kind in red wax)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 white pepper
- dried parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, bring 5 quarts of water to a boil. Drop in the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente
- Drain pasta, then place in cold water until ready to assemble mac n cheese. This prevents the noodles from sticking together
- In a medium sauce pan, heat butter until it just starts to brown over medium heat
- Add onions, cook for 2 minutes
- Add garlic, cook for one minute
- Whisk in flour, cook for one minute
- Whisk in whipping cream, continually stirring until slightly thicken about 1 minute
- Add Gouda and Parmesan cheeses, stirring until the sauce is creamy and smooth
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper, stir until blended and remove from heat.
- Drain noodles, cut in 1/2 with scissors.
- Lay one layer of noodles in a 7 x 5 1/2 x 3 inch baking dish
- Spread a light layer of cheese sauce and then continue to layer noodles and cheese sauce until all are used. Be sure to save a little sauce to top the final layer of noodles with.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes at 350 degrees until the top starts to slightly brown
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving
- Garnish with dried parsley after slicing