You need to try this Marinated Grilled Vegetable Sandwich, it's stacked with grilled veggies marinated in a sweet bbq coffee marinade then piled onto crusty bread and layered with spicy cashew cream mayo.
Our family can get a little obsessed with trying to be the top grill master when we have a get-together. All three of my grown boys have grills and smokers that they regularly try to perfect the perfect rack of ribs, Boston butt or brisket.
Then along comes mom who sticks to a healthy plant-based diet to throw a monkey wrench into it all. It's important to me that my family eats a more healthy plant-based diet since my colon cancer diagnosis and my husband's heart attack.
For this reason, I wanted to create a grilling recipe that would rival in flavor the best meat-based bbq. I did just that with my Marinated Grilled Vegetable Sandwich.
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED MARINATED VEGETABLES
Start with a great spice combination, and then add my unique secret ingredients, coffee and a pinch of cocoa. BBQ Coffee Dry Rub is easy to make and the perfect rub for kicking up your vegetables, ribs, briskets, pork, and steaks.
Next, allow your vegetables to bath in the marinade for 30 minutes before grilling.
To make this sandwich a healthy plant-based meal, I switched out traditional mayonnaise for my Spicy Cashew Cream Sauce.
Marinated Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
- 2 zucchini medium
- 1 eggplant small
- 1 onion large sweet
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 6 slices bread seeded crusty
BBQ Coffee Dry Rub Seasoning
- 1/4 cup coffee finely ground
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne ~ or more
- BBQ Coffee Dry Rub Seasoning
- Combine all ingredients into a small jar, place lid on and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
- Mix dry seasoning, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar into a deep-dish pie pan. Whisk until ingredients are combined well.
- Using a mandoline slicer carefully slice zucchini, eggplant, and onion into even, thin slices. Place slices into the marinade, brushing on marinade on both sides of sliced vegetables.
- Allow vegetables to set in the marinade for 30 minutes.
- Place marinated vegetables on a hot grill, close lid, and allow to cook 3 minutes. When you see the grill marks starting to show through on the top side of vegetables, flip them and allow to cook with lid closed two more minutes or until done. Be careful not to overcook and dry them out.
- Assemble vegetables onto your crusty bread, then add fresh basil leaves and Spicy Cashew Cream Sauce.