Italian Style Stuffed Paleo Peppers, are made with sweet bell peppers stuffed with Italian herbs and organic beef to create a delicious and healthy one-dish paleo meal for your family.
- 2 bell peppers, halved and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1 pound ground organic beef
- 6 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Extra basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the bell pepper halves in a roasting dish face down for 10 to 15 minutes. (You can skip this step if you want to keep the peppers more firm or raw.)
- While the bell peppers are cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions in coconut oil, adding sea salt and black pepper to taste, until they’re translucent and slightly browned on the edges.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic, and simmer for about two minutes.
- Add the meat, and cook until fully done. Taste the mixture, and adjust seasoning to your liking. Mix in the chopped basil.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, they should be just a bit softened.
- Flip them over. Spoon the stuffing mixture into each one. You can go ahead and eat them at this point, or put them back in the oven for five to 10 minutes to allow the flavors of the bell pepper and the meat mixture to blend together more.