Poached pears with warm cinnamon and anise spices simmered in a sweet sauce then served with apple butter yogurt sauce and topped with coconut granola are a perfect fall dessert.
6 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
2 star of anise pods
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
juice from 1/2 lemon added to four cups of water
6 pears, peeled, cut in half with cores removed
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
3 tablespoons apple butter
- First, combine 4 cups of cold water and sugar in approximately a 3-quart size pan. Heat pan over medium heat, bringing the syrup to a simmer. Stir to help the sugar completely dissolve.
- Add cinnamon sticks, star of anise pods and a teaspoon of real vanilla extract. Turn to the lowest heat and allow it to simmer.
- Place 1/2 of juice froma lemon in a bowl with 4 cups of cold water.
- Peel pears, cut in 1/2 leaving the stem on one side. Scoop out the seeded core with a small cookie scoop or spoon. Place pears in lemon water.
- Once you have all your pears prepared, take them out of the lemon water and place them in the warm spiced syrup. Bring the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Then take the pan off the heat and allow to cool in the pan for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve with apple butter yogurt and top with granola.
Combine yogurt and apple butter. Stir until well blended.
Keywords: poached pears