- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped hard salami
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 pound very lean veal or beef
- 1 cup of good quality dry red wine
- 1 14oz can beef broth
- 4 oz can tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- To make the ragu, heat the butter in a large pan, add the salami, carrot, garlic, celery and onion and fry gently for about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef or veal and stir with a wooden spoon to break it up into smaller crumbly pieces as it cooks.
- Cook for about 15 minutes to brown the meat, then add the wine.
- Stir in the beef stock and tomato paste being sure to stir until a smooth sauce is achieved.
- Allow to simmer for 2 hours on very low heat.
- If the sauce seems to thick while cooking add a little more beef stock to obtain a smooth consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over al dente pasta topping with a good quality finely grated asiago cheese