Roasted Red Pepper Spread is delightfully sweet smoky pepper and tomato spread that can be used as a dip with naan bread, a base for pizza, a sauce for pasta, a topping for burgers or sandwiches, the possibilities are endless.
- 6 lb red bell peppers (about 14 medium)
- 2 lb Italian plum tomatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with new lids and bands
- ROAST red peppers and tomatoes on separate pans under a broiler or on a grill at 425°F, turning to roast all sides, until tomatoes and peppers are blistered, lightly blackened and softened
- Remove from heat, cover with towel and allow to cool to touch
- Peel and seed peppers and tomatoes.
- Place peppers and tomatoes in a large stock pot, adding sugar and salt. Simmer on low, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 to 2 hours until peppers and tomatoes are cooked to a smooth, creamy spread.
- If you would like to can your sauce, heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside
- ADD 1/8 teaspoon citric acid to each pint jar
- Pour sauce into hot jars
- REMOVE air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps
- PROCESS half pints for 10 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure in a pressure canner, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when the center is pressed.