Try this Spicy Seed Salad Topping, it's a great way to kick up your salads with a little bit of healthy heat and crunch and only 23 calories per serving.
People often forget that seeds are in fact nutritional powerhouses high in fiber, contain significant amounts of vitamin E and are super high in omegas. They also act as a source of protein – meaning they are a wonderful choice for snacking as they will keep you fuller for longer.
Spicy Seed Salad Topping
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds raw
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Pour sesame seeds and sunflower seeds on a small baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes stirring twice. Pour into a small bowl.
- Preheat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add sesame, sunflower, nuts, and poppy seeds. Toast for about 5 minutes or until pine nuts are golden brown. Be sure and stir every 20 seconds or so.
- Add salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and lemon zest. Mix all together. Pour onto a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes in preheated oven stirring once 1/2 way through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Store in a tightly sealed container or jar in a cool place.
- Can be used as a salad topping, on steamed or sautéed vegetables and eggs.