What To Serve With Clam Chowder
Clam chowder is a creamy soup favorite of many households – ours included! It’s a classic dish that can be served in many different ways, which can make deciding what to serve with clam chowder (and goes well with it) a little tough.
If you need ideas for what to serve as a side dish, type of bread, or even dessert you will find some great ideas here. There are several different clam chowders types so this article will also help you find the perfect recipe to serve with your favorite type of clam chowder.
❓ FAQ about Clam Chowder
Clam chowder is a creamy soup made from clams, potatoes, and bacon (in most recipes) with various spices that can be served in a variety of creative ways.
It’s what you would call comfort food – it brings back happy memories of Mom cooking for the family on a hot summer night or Dad coming home after work to this delicious meal ready and waiting. What could be better?
There are three most common types of clam chowder which include New England Clam Chowder, Manhattan Clam Chowder, and Rhode Island Clam Chowder.
Manhattan clam chowder is full of veggies and has a tomato base broth. New England clam chowder is cream-based chowder with potatoes and clams.
Clam chowder can be what you make it – there are no rules! But usually, the base of clam chowder is typically clams, potatoes, and bacon. However, there are variations of this dish that include different meats, vegetables, or even seafood.
You can make your own variation of clam chowder at home by using what you have on hand or what’s in season – just be sure to keep the key ingredients of clams, potatoes, and bacon in there!
Yes, you can freeze clam chowder. However, we don’t recommend freezing it for more than two months as the quality of the soup may suffer over time.
To freeze your clam chowder, let it cool completely and then place in quart-sized freezer bags or an airtight container. Be sure to remove as much air as possible before freezing.
When you’re ready to eat it, let the soup thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat over low heat on the stovetop.
One cup of clam chowder made with clams, potatoes, and bacon will have approximately 400 calories in it.
This rich, creamy Instant Pot clam chowder recipe can be made in about 30 minutes. This recipe makes a comforting warm chowder that is full of tender potatoes, carrots, and celery and loaded with sweet pieces of clams.
⭐ Hint: A sturdy Instant Pot we like to use is the Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, 6 Quart, Stainless Steel/Black!
💭 Tips for Serving Clam Chowder
- Serve it with a side of biscuits and gravy for a heartier meal.
- Serve it in a bread bowl for a fun and easy way to eat it.
- Add some bacon bits on top for extra flavor.
- Add a little cheese and make it into a chowder-queso.
- Serve with an ice cold beer for the perfect meal to eat outside on the patio or deck.
- Make clam fritters by frying up some batter in your favorite seasonings and serve them alongside for extra flavor you won’t be able to get enough of.
- Serve with a side of salad for a healthier meal.
- Add a little extra cream to make it into a soup and serve with some grilled cheese on the side for a classic comfort food meal.
- Serve in small cups as an appetizer at your next party – perfect for satisfying clam chowder cravings!
- Mix up the ingredients and make it your own unique version of clam chowder with yummy add ins- such as different veggies, the possibilities are endless!
What to serve with Clam Chowder
Wondering what to eat with Clam Chowder? Here’s a list of delicious sides you can pair with your Clam Chowder to make a savory finish:
- Rice – Brown or white rice make the perfect side dish, or even a low-carb version such as cauliflower mushroom rice.
- Sweet Corn – Sweet corn when pair with clam chowder gives it just right right amount of sweet, almost turning your clam chowder meal into a new recipe!
- Kale Salad – Sweet creamy dressing tossed with toasted pecans, tomatoes and crunchy cabbage create this wonderful and surprisingly Low Carb Italian Kale Salad.
- Lobster Rolls – Lobster rolls are a type of seafood sandwich that is made with lobster meat. The roll can be hot or cold, and served either on a bun or as an open-faced sandwich.
- Homemade Bread – Homemade bread is the best with a crispy outside crust and soft insides. Dip it in your clam chowder!
- Garlic Bread – Different from homemade bread, garlic bread is crispy with a touch of garlic that combines well with clam chowder.
- Homemade Oyster Crackers – These are delicious and easy to make with only a few required ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt, butter, milk and of course, oysters!
- Green Bean with Bacon – The green bean and bacon combination can be served on the grill during the summer months or mixed together and thrown in the oven.
- Tangy Coleslaw – This coleslaw sides delightfully with clam chowder and will leave you wanting seconds!
- Thin French Fries – Thin french fries are the perfect side to accompany your clam chowder. They’re crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and they’ll help soak up all of that delicious chowder gravy!
- Tender Potatoes – If you want something a little bit more hearty as a side dish for your clam chowder, why not try tender potatoes? You can boil them in saltwater until they’re soft and then mash them with some butter and milk. They’ll fill you up fast!
- Colorful Salad – Spinach and other leafy greens are not only delicious, but they also have great health benefits.
- Grilled Cheese or Grilled Vegetable Sandwich – Grilled cheese sandwiches and grilled veggie sandwiches are always a hit, and they’re the perfect comfort food to eat while enjoying a bowl of clam chowder.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – When looking for a sweet treat to finish the meal off with, you can’t ever go wrong with vanilla ice cream.
Bread Recipes To Go With Your Clam Chowder
Side Dishes With Clam Chowder
Salads To Pair With Clam Chowder
More roundup ideas
🎉 Be sure and sign up to get your free Party In The Freezer Ecookbook. I’ll send it right to you and keep you up to date with all that is happing on Intentional Hospitality