Loaded with creamy potatoes, Italian sausage, and kale this Easy Toscana Zuppa Soup is quick to make and will be a crowd pleaser for your whole family.
Normally I cook from scratch but I was getting a late start fixing dinner. So I took a short cut, using a can of creamy potato soup as part of my base and was really pleased with the results.
For quick and easy clean up I lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper and placed the Italian sausage on it, popped it in the oven at 350 degrees to cook while I prepared the rest of the soup on the stove top. It was really easy to clean up, just remove the sausage, allow sausage juice to cool, then throw out the paper. The cookie sheet never got dirty. The rest of the soup recipe can be made in one pot which also makes for easy clean up.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH ZUPPA SOUP
This Easy Toscana Zuppa Soup is great on a cold winter evening and special enough to serve when company is coming. Try serving it with a loaf of my warm Beer Bread topped with creamy butter.
More soup ideas
Easy Toscana Zuppa Soup
- 1 pound Italian Sausage in links
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped in small cubes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 32 oz box chicken broth
- 1 can creamy potato soup
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place on sausage and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until skin is brown and meat cooked through.
- In a soup pot add olive oil and sweet potatoes. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add onions, cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes
- Add garlic cook 1 more minute, while stirring.
- Add creamy potato soup, chicken broth, kale, salt, and pepper. Allow to simmer over low heat until sausage is finished cooking.
- When sausage is done, cut into bite size slices, add to soup.
- Add whipping cream, heat over low for several minutes then serve.
- Can top with crushed red peppers to taste.