Feel like you are in New England by the sea when you have a bowl of this creamy clam chowder. The smooth classy flavor is sure to please your family and guest.
Besides being absolutely delicious this soup is easy to make and easily keeps warm on the stove until your guest arrive. It is also economical because you can use quality canned chopped clams, which are less expensive than fresh.
Creamy Clam Chowder
- 12 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 4 cups diced boiled potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 – 32 oz box Swanson Seafood Cooking Sauce
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 Tablespoons white wine
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 – 6.5 oz cans Bumble Bee chopped clams drained
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large heavy stock pot.
- Add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Add seafood cooking sauce, simmer uncovered until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a small pan, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter and then whisk in the flour. cook on very low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in a cup of the hot broth and then pour this mixture back into the cooked vegetables.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the broth thickens.
- Add milk, clams and heat gently for a few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!