These soft and chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies are the perfect warm spiced holiday cookie. They are gluten-free, low sugar, and can be made vegan, which is ideal for company or a quiet night home.
I grew up in the Fort Wayne, IN area, and one of my favorite things to do as a child was taking a trip to the cookie factory. We had the Archway cookie plant in town, and their cookies were a staple in our home.
We would load up our cart with all kinds of favorites; however, I especially liked their molasses cookies. They were soft and chewy, always the perfect kick-off for the Christmas holiday season.
Now that I am primarily vegan, and my husband is diabetic, I wanted to recreate the molasses cookie I grew up with to fit our diet. I desired my cookies to be vegan and not loaded with sugar but packed with flavor.
These ginger molasses cookies do just that!
First, I used a gluten-free baking flour, which is more suitable for me since I try and avoid fructans. Then I used coconut sugar as a sweetener. Coconut sugar has a lower bit lower glycemic index than plain white sugar; every little bit helps when it’s time for a sweet treat.
The cookies get their flavor from a touch of molasses, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. They can be made vegan by following my recipe for a flax egg or you can use a regular egg.
MORE GLUTEN-FREE COOKIES
MORE COOKIE RECIPES
- Breakfast Cookies
- Bacon Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Bourbon and Brown Butter Cookies
- Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Cookie Mix Gift
If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ It helps others find the recipe! ❤️️ Also, I love to hear from my readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. I’m always looking for new ideas for post that would help you. Don’t forget if you do make this recipe, tag me @intentionalhospitality on Instagram so I can share it with my followers. I would love to see your yummy creation.
Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend. I use Pamela’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend. Or you can use all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter flavor coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg mix together 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water, mix and let set for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour and baking soda in a mixing stand bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix on medium-low until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
- With a cookie scoop drop even sized dough balls onto the cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass or spatula.
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Place powder sugar in a small bowl and add the almond milk a little at a time, whisking until you have a thick creamy icing. Drizzle over cooled cookies.
These cookies are simple to make and wonderful with a big glass of plant-based milk or hot coffee.