Sweet creamy dressing tossed with toasted pecans, tomatoes and crunchy cabbage create this wonderful and surprisingly Low Carb Italian Kale Salad.
While visiting Alassio, Italy one of the highlights of my trip was a stay at Borgata Cantone B&B.
There I learned the fine art of using parsley for more than a garnish. We were served a dish with a parsley pesto that I fell in love with. Who knew something with such a prominent flavor could create a cool and refreshing sauce. As we traveled throughout the piedmont of Italy I found several other dishes where parsley was the main flavor enhancer and this American "parsley is a garnish" gal was converted.
I created this Low Carb Italian Kale Salad with my visit to Italy in mind. The creamy dressing is low carb because I use olive oil-based mayonnaise (how Italian is that), unsweetened almond cashew milk, and low-fat cottage cheese as the base. Whipping it in a food processor then adding the other seasonings creates a smooth yummy dressing.
Low Carb Italian Kale Salad
- 4 cups chopped kale with stems removed
- 4 cups savoy cabbage shredded
- 1 cup small diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley leaves. I just use a big handfull of leaves and let the food processor chop when mixing dressing
- 1 small garlic clove peeled
- 1 single serving packet of stevia or 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Place kale, cabbage diced tomatoes, toasted pecans and minced onions in a large bowl and toss.
- In a food processor add olive oil, mayonnaise, cottage cheese and almond cashew milk. Blend for one minute
- Add salt, parsley leaves, garlic clove and stevia to food processor and blend for 2 minutes or until creamy smooth
- Pour dressing over salad in bowl and toss.
- Chill before serving or over night.