Curried Coconut chicken is a sweet and spicy exotic-tasting dish that is an easy, crowd pleasing one pan meal.
Not only is Curried Coconut Chicken easy to make, it will impress your family and guest because it is so stacked with flavors that they will think you spent hours preparing them a meal. Using coconut milk as a base for the sauce makes this a slightly sweet curried chicken with a rich aromatic creamy sauce perfect served over rice noodles or jasmine rice.
I believe the key to bringing out the flavor of the curry is to not skip the first step of heating the oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes. I omitted this once accidentally and the dish did not have as rich of flavor. Also, be sure and use boneless skinless chicken breast, slicing in thin bite size pieces. It is easier to slice like this if the meat is slightly frozen.
I found this recipe several years ago on All Recipes and decided to try it because it had such high reviews. It was an instant hit at our table however, we like to add a few different ingredients to the recipe. We enjoy the addition of slices of sweet yellow and green peppers and small diced potatoes during the cooking of the onions. For toppings we like to add unsweetened coconut and raisins which adds another dimension to the flavors of this dish.
Curried Coconut Chicken
Note: Be sure to read through the recipe’s post for tips and details about this recipe.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup small diced potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 14.5 ounce can stewed, diced tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Season sliced chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes.
- Stir in onions, peppers, potatoes and garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
- Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve over rice noodles or jasmin rice
- Top with unsweetened coconut and raisins