BBQ Roasted Chickpeas recipe is simple to make a healthy snack, full of sweet bbq flavor and the best part is they are protein-packed, gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free!
😋 Why make this recipe
Move over popcorn and nuts, a new snack is in town. This roasted chickpeas recipe is inexpensive, simple to make, and packed with disease-fighting nutrition. Chickpeas provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber and protein.
A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving provides the following nutrients:
- Calories: 46
- Carbs: 31 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Folate: 12% of the RDI
- Iron: 4% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 5% of the RDI
- Copper: 5% of the RDI
- Manganese: 14% of the RDI
Chickpeas are a great source of several minerals, such as magnesium and potassium, which have been studied for their potential to boost heart health
This is because they may help prevent high blood pressure, which is a major risk factor for heart disease.
Additionally, the soluble fiber in chickpeas has been shown to help reduce triglyceride and “bad” LDL cholesterol levels, which may increase heart disease risk when elevated
In one 12- week study, 45 people who ate 728 grams of chickpeas per week significantly reduced their total cholesterol levels by an average of almost 16 mg/dL
Including chickpeas in your diet on a regular basis may help reduce your risk of certain types of cancer.
First, eating chickpeas may promote the body’s production of butyrate, a fatty acid that has been studied for its potential to reduce inflammation in colon cells, possibly decreasing the risk of colon cancer
Furthermore, chickpeas are a source of saponins, which are plant compounds that may help prevent the development of certain cancers. Saponins have also been studied for their role in inhibiting tumor growth
Chickpeas also contain several vitamins and minerals that may lower your risk of cancer, including B vitamins, which may be responsible for reducing the risk of breast and lung cancer
Chickpeas have a few properties known to support blood sugar control, and thus may help prevent and manage diabetes.
The fiber and protein in chickpeas help prevent your blood sugar levels from rising too quickly after eating, which is an important factor in diabetes management
Additionally, their low glycemic index (GI) makes them appropriate for those with diabetes, as they are unlikely to lead to blood sugar spikes
They’re also a source of several vitamins and minerals that have been found to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, including magnesium, B vitamins and zinc
With all this goodness it’s easy to see that we need to add more chickpeas to our diets. One great way is snacking on them like nuts or popcorn when you make this BBQ Roasted Chickpeas recipe.
For more delicious roasted nut recipes be sure and visit my Sweet & Spicy Roasted Cashews.
BBQ Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
Note: Be sure to read through the recipe’s post for tips and details about this recipe.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
BBQ Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 cup finely ground coffee
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne ~ or more
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Rinse and thoroughly dry the chickpeas. It is best to place the chickpeas on paper towels and pat until they are almost dry.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients to the bbq seasoning mix. You will have extra seasoning so I suggest placing in a jar with a tight lid to use next time.
- Place the chickpeas in a large dry bowl and drizzle the olive oil over them. Toss until they are completely covered.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the bbq seasoning mix, lightly toss to coat.
- Place coated chickpeas on parchment lined baking sheet
- Roast in 400-degree oven for 35 minutes. Set your timer every 15 minutes to gently stir the chickpeas while roasting. Ovens vary so when the desired roasting is done, remove and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week