Make your own authentic Spicy Pico de Gallo using simple, fresh ingredients like ripe tomatoes,…
Shrimp Pico De Gallo is full of zesty lime flavor, sweet onion, cilantro and yummy spicy shrimp that packs a punch to all your Mexican dishes.
Today my daughter whipped up a batch of her Shrimp Pico De Gallo. We were both hungry for shrimp and I had some tomatoes ripening in the window seal so she suggested a little Mexican for lunch! Yes, I love having someone cook for me, especially someone who is as good at it as she is. She is a product of Food Network, choosing to watch it over Barney when she was only two.
Ok, so here is a funny thing about pico de gallo, the translation from English to Spanish literally means rooster’s beak! So for the sake of not grossing out my guest when I serve it, I’ll call it by its Spanish name.
My favorite part about pico de gallo’s flavor is the base recipe consist of all fresh raw ingredients. The key to a full flavored recipe is to use fresh cilantro not dried. Here’s a tip, I find it easier to cut it with kitchen scissors instead of chopping with a knife. Also, I like to freeze any left over cilantro I have. I just wash it, pull off all the big stems then stuff it in a sandwich size ziplock bag. When I need to use it in a recipe I just take scissors and cut off from the frozen leaves what I need. It’s not as good as fresh but much better than dried.
Shrimp Pico De Gallo
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled and tails cut off
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Tony Cacciatore seasoning
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced finely
- 5 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons diced, fresh packed jar jalapeno peppers
- 2 whole limes juiced
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups cilantro chopped small
- Heat canola oil over medium heat, toss in raw peeled shrimp.
- Sprinkle with Tony Cacciatore seasoning. Cook for 3 minutes or until done.
- Chop shrimp then place in a mixing bowl
- Add onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, lime juice and cilantro. Salt to taste
- Toss until well mixed, chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.