Vegan Beer Bread has a sweet chewy crust on the outside with a soft scrumptious yeasty inside. Homemade beer bread is quick and easy. It only takes 10 minutes to whip up a batch and pop it in the oven. Your home will start filling with the aroma of home-baked bread before you know it!
Why make this recipe?
Vegan beer bread is a quick 10-minute bread recipe that incorporates a 12 oz bottle of beer. The beer is a leavening agent, along with baking powder in place of yeast. However, even though there is no yeast the beer gives it a warm yeasty flavor.
All you have to do is stir a few simple ingredients in a bowl, pour into a greased bread pan, and bake.
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- maple syrup
What is the best beer to use in bread?
This is where it gets fun and you can be creative with this recipe. Depending on the flavor profile in a beer you like will be the type of beer you should add.
How different beers can change the flavor
Teku Tavern has a great way of identifying or categorizing beer based on flavor profiles. When you want to create a particular flavor in your beer bread recipe, think of words like crisp, clean, bitter, fruity, tart, sour, or caramel. By identifying flavors that people are familiar with, it’s easier to pick out a beer that suits their palates and the flavor they are going for in their bread.
- Crisp & Clean: Cream Ale, Wheat Ale
- Hoppy & Bitter: English Pale Ale, English IPA
- Malty & Sweet: Dark Lager, Dunkles Bock, Doppelbock
- Dark & Roasty: Brown Porter, Sweet Stout, Belgian Stout
- Smoke: Smoked Porter, Steinbrau
- Fruit & Spice: Belgian Blonde Ale, Kristalweizen, Witbier (I personally like Blue Moon in the bread recipe)
- Sour, Tart, & Funky: Berliner Weiss, Gose, American Brett Beer
Does the bread taste like beer?
The bread does not taste like a bottle of beer, however, there are slight notes of the beer's profile.
Can you get drunk off of beer bread?
Remember the bread is cooked at 350 degrees so the alcohol is basically evaporated. You will only have the flavor profile of the beer you choose to use. So, you can not get drunk off of beer bread, sorry.
Can you make the bread ahead of time?
This recipe can be made the day before. Be sure and allow it to cool completely and then place in an airtight container. It would be good to heat the love at 250 degrees for 15 minutes just before serving.
How do you store the bread?
I suggest using a Reusable Organic Cotton Bread Bag. They are eco friendly and really cute. After the bread is cool, place in the bag. I suggest storing in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Giving bread as a gift is perfect for a housewarming, holidays, or as a hostess gift. To make it an extra special place, the loves in pretty Linen Bread Bags. You could also give them a quart jar of my Canned Chili Recipe. It's delicious with beer bread and would make a quick and easy dinner.
What to serve with it?
Vegan Beer Bread
Need an ingredient to make this recipe? Click this Instacart button and get what you need sent right to you.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray with cooking spray a 9x5 loaf pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- With a spoon, stir the beer and maple syrup into the dry ingredients until just mixed. Do not over stir.
- Spoon the batter into the bread pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Need an item in the this recipe? Click the Instacart button and have it sent right to you.