Sweet, chewy crust on the outside with a soft scrumptious inside describes this crazy good recipe for Vegan…
Canning your own Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles is a great way to add a little summer to your menus all year long.
Canning Supplies Guide
If you are new to canning be sure and read my Canning Supplies Guide. There are many helpful tips and ideas.
Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles
- 10 cups cucumbers about 24 6" cucumbers sliced
- 2 onions large sweet Vidalia
- serrano peppers 1 per jar for a little heat 2 per jar for kicked even more heat
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 4 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 tablespoons crushed red peppers and seeds
- Wash cucumbers
- Cut cucumbers into 1/4 inch thick slices
- Slice onions thinly
- Place cucumbers and onions in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix well with salt.
- Cover with cold water and ice. Allow setting on the counter for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, sterilize jars in canner by heating in a boiling water bath for a few minutes. Remove to counter
- Slice the serranos in half. If you like it real spicy keep the membranes and seeds in the peppers
- When the 2 hours are up, drain and rinse the cucumbers and onions well.
- In an 8 quart pan, combine vinegar, sugar pickling spice, turmeric, and crushed red peppers.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar
- Stir in cucumbers, onions, and serranos
- Bring back to a boil stirring as needed so all vegetables are coated in the pickling liquid.
- When it comes to a boil remove immediately from heat
- Ladle vegetables and juice into sterilized jars, being sure to get one or two serrano peppers in each jar.
Water Bath Canning
- Before you start, prepare your waterbath. canner. Fill water bath canner at least half-full with water. Cover and maintain a simmer (180°F) until jars are filled and placed in canner.
- Check jars, lids, and bands for proper functioning. Jars with nicks, cracks, uneven rims, or sharp edges may prevent sealing or cause jar breakage. The underside of lids should not have scratches or uneven or incomplete sealing compound as this may prevent sealing. Bands should fit on jars. Wash all in hot, soapy water and dry well.
- Pre-heat your canning jars in hot (180°F) water. Keeping jars hot prevents them from breaking when filled with hot food. Leave lids and bands at room temperature for easy handling.
- Use a Jar Lifter to remove the pre-heated jar. Fill jars one at a time with prepared food using a Jar Funnel, leaving headspace recommended in recipe. Remove air bubbles, if stated in the recipe, by sliding the Bubble Remover & Headspace Tool or rubber spatula between the jar and food to release trapped air. Repeat around jar 2-3 times. For successful sealing, you need to leave the correct amount of space between the food and the rim of the jar.
- Wipe the rims and threads of the jars using a clean, damp cloth to remove any food residue. Center lid on the jar, allowing sealing compound to contact the jar rim. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip-tight. Place jar in canner. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all jars are filled. Ensure water covers jars by 1-2 inches.
- Place lid on water bath canner and bring water back to a rolling boil. Begin processing time.
- Process in the boiling water for 15 minutes. When complete, shut off heat and remove the lid. Allow jars to rest in canner for 5 minutes to be acclimated to the outside temperature.
- Move jars from canner and set upright on a towel. This will prevent jar breakage that can occur from temperature differences. Leave jars undisturbed for 12 to 24 hours. DO NOT retighten bands as this may interfere with the sealing process.
- Inspect lids for seals. There should be no flex when center is pressed. Remove the bands and attempt to lift lids off with your fingertips. Properly sealed lids will remain attached. If a lid fails to seal within 24 hours, immediately refrigerate the product. Clean canning jars and lids, label and store in a cool, dry, dark place for up to for up 18 months.