Canning your own Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles is a great way to add a little summer to your menus all year long.
Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles
These canned pickles are sweet with a little heat.
Author: Intentional Hospitality
- 10 cups sliced cucumbers, about 24 6" cucumbers
- 2 large sweet vidalia onions
- serrano peppers, 1 per jar for a little heat 2 per jar for kicked even more heat
- ½ cup pickling salt
- 4½ cups white vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1½ teaspoons turmeric
- 3 tablespoons crushed red peppers and seeds
- Wash cucumbers
- Cut cucumbers into ¼ inch thick slices
- Slice onions thinly
- Place cucumbers and onions in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix well with salt.
- Cover with cold water and ice. Allow to set on counter for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, staralize jars in canner by heating in boiling water bath for a few minutes. Remove to counter
- Slice the serranos in half. If you like it real spicy keep the membranes and seeds in the peppers
- When the 2 hours are up, drain and rinse the cucumbers and onions well.
- In an 8 quart pan, combine vinegar, sugar pickling spice and crushed red peppers.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar
- Stir in cucumbers, onions and serranos
- Bring back to a boil stirring as needed so all vegetables are coated in pickling liquid.
- When it comes to a boil remove immediately from heat
- Ladle vegetables and juice into sterilized jars, being sure to get one or two serrano peppers in each jar.
- Wipe rim, top with primed lids and screw on tops.
- Place jars in canner and bring to a boil, processing for 10 minutes