WHAT MAKES THE GREEN JACKET SALAD SO FAMOUS?
Augusta, GA natives, miss the Green Jacket Restaurant, but their Green Jacket Salad lives on. While growing up in Augusta, it was always a special treat to dine at Augusta's Green Jacket Restaurant located across the street from Augusta National's main gate. I remember the excitement of walking into the slightly dimmed rooms permeated with the smell of steaks cooking on a grill. As a kid, I always thought it was fun to be handed their menu because it was the shape of a golf bag full of clubs.
Fresh linen tablecloths and napkins would greet you as you sat down at your table. The "Jacket" we lovingly call the restaurant was a master at cooking steaks. (no pun intended) Actually, everything on the menu was delicious, from the Green Jacket Steak Teriyaki to Tee to Green boneless sirloin. All dinners included a trip to the 22 item salad bar where you could also get the now-famous Green Jacket Salad.
WHY IS IT CALLED THE GREEN JACKET SALAD?
The restaurant was located across the street from Augusta National and took on the name of the most prestigious award in sports, The Masters' Green Jacket. To locals, the restaurant's salad was always a favorite. The Junior League of Augusta printed the recipe for the dressing in their Second Round cookbook. From then on, it became a go-to recipe to take to parties and potlucks.
MORE FAMOUS MASTERS RECIPES
Bring a little Masters Golf to your table! I have compiled the most FAMOUS AUGUSTA RECIPES associated with the traditions of golf in one cookbook. Learn the recipe's history, get tips on making the recipe, and print beautiful golf-themed recipe cards. Your friends and family will love these!
HOW TO MAKE THE FAMOUS GREEN JACKET SALAD
This is an easy salad to make. You can also make the dressing ahead and keep it in the refrigerator. Get all your greens and tomatoes ready in a salad bowl. Then all you have to do when guests arrive is dress and toss the salad.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE SALAD
This is a simple salad recipe however there are a few important tips.
- Always use fresh, crisp lettuce. I like using a combination of Romain and leaf lettuce.
- When making the dressing be sure to use fresh, finely chopped parsley.
- The oregano must be dried.
- I believe they baked their own pita chips years ago; however, now it is easy to find bagged baked pita chips at your local grocery.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THE SALAD
Instant Pot Roast Beef and Lots of Gravy is a quick and easy dinner recipe that would go perfect with this Green Jacket Salad. Using an instant pot creates a tender, delicious roast with plenty of gravy to top a side of mashed potatoes.
The salad would also be great with Honey Garlic Chicken. It's a quick and easy recipe with only 5 simple ingredients that create an addictive sweet-savory garlic sauce.
HOW TO HOST A GOLF PARTY
Throwing a MASTERS PARTY with your golf enthusiast friends will be easy with these Masters party ideas. Learn simple decorating tips, ideas for what to wear, and recipes to help you serve traditional foods from the Masters.
Looking for easy GOLF PARTY Ideas? Here you will find out how to easily throw a golf-themed party using this simple Golf Party Pack along with some fun tips and recipe ideas.
MORE GOLF THEMED RECIPES
- Masters Pimento Cheese Recipe
- The Masters Egg Salad
- Azalea Cocktail
- Arnold Palmer Drink
- Pimento Cheese Crackers
- The Masters Peach Ice Cream Sandwich
- Augusta National Sour Cream Pound Cake
If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ It helps others find the recipe! ❤️️ Also, I love to hear from my readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. I'm always looking for new ideas for post that would help you. Don't forget if you do make this recipe, tag me @intentionalhospitality on Instagram so I can share it with my followers. I would love to see your yummy creation.
Green Jacket Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Romaine lettuce washed and torn into biz-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups leaf lettuce washed and torn into biz-size pieces
- 1/4 cup tomatoes cherry tomatoes cut in 1/2 or diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup pita chips broken into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese freshly grated to topping
- Combine all dressing ingredients into a glass jar. Screw on a tight-fitting lid. Shake until all ingredients are combined.
- Combine lettuce and tomatoes in a medium-size bowl
- Pour dressing over salad and toss
- Add pita chips and toss lightly.
- Top with parmesan cheese if desired