Canned Green Tomato Salsa has a combination of green tomatoes, chilies, onions, and cilantro which…
The combination of green tomatoes, chilies, onions and cilantro creates a salsa with authentic Mexican flavor in this recipe for Green Tomato Salsa Verde. It is perfect with chips or as a condiment for fajitas, burritos and quesadillas.
I always try and keep Green Tomato Salsa Verde in my pantry. At the beginning of tomato season I head to my local farmers market and buy a bushel of green tomatoes. I fry a few up and then can the rest up.
Canning Supplies Guide
If you are new to canning be sure and read my Canning Supplies Guide. There are many helpful tips and ideas.
Green Tomato Salsa Verde
- 11 cups green tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 2 cup onions coarsely chopped
- 2 cups green chilies Chopped: Pick your favorite such as jalapeños, serranos, or such
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 10 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 10 cloves garlic cloves medium size, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 4 teaspoons cumin ground
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large stock pot combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stir continuously.
- Reduce heat, and simmer gently. Stir frequently so the tomatoes do not burn. Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes or until the tomatoes are very soft, starting to fall apart.
- Use stick blender and puree the salsa until it is smooth.
- Pack hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1-inch of head space.
- Wipe jar rims clean
- Center lid on jar and adjust band to fingertip- tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 55 minutes for pints and 1 hour and 25 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
- For complete pressure canning instructions be sure and visit Ball’s pressure canning link: http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/pressure-canning