This easy-to-make Pegan Diet Detox Salad is a healthy, bright winter salad that is colorful like the rainbow and packed with nutritious superfood ingredients. It's so good. You won't feel like you are on a diet.
This salad is an excellent springboard to start a new diet. You will also want to add Green Juice to help your body detox and lose weight. Another great salad to help you detox is this Rainbow Cauliflower Salad. Mushrooms are also a vital veggie to add to your diet, so be sure and try these Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms.
What is the pegan diet?
The pegan diet combines fundamental principles from paleo and vegan diets based on the notion that nutrient-dense, whole foods can reduce inflammation, balance blood sugar, and support optimal health.
I followed a vegan diet after I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I ate vegan for almost five years after my diagnosis. As time passed, I began to add some well-chosen meats to my diet that Dr. Hyman suggests in his book.
Why make this recipe
- IIt's incredible how many people have a new year's resolution to go on a diet, but they are not sure the best way to achieve their health goals. Have you heard of the saying, eat the rainbow? It's an acronym to help choose a healthy plant-based diet, just like this salad recipe.
- It's easy to make and so pretty it pleases your senses, eyes, smell, and taste.
- This salad is loaded with only foods that are good for you so you can freely indulge.
- It helps cleanse your body from the effects of poor choices in foods you ate over the holiday.
Why this is a detox salad
Nature's naturally colored plant foods contain phytonutrients with their vibrant red, orange, yellow, green, and other bright colors. These are a class of active plant chemicals that offer above and beyond the essential vitamins and minerals, fats, proteins, and carbs to help supercharge your health.
Phytonutrients protect the body from a wide array of illnesses and modern diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, and other serious health issues.
Also, some enhance immunity, are anti-inflammatory, and work as a potent antioxidant to help repair DNA. Another plus to creating a diet around colorful vegetables is many are fat-burning and anti-aging powerhouses.
This salad packs a punch in flavor and nutrition.
- red cabbage: be sure to slice it very thin. If you are going to make the salad ahead of time wait to add the red cabbge just before serving. It tends to bleed onto other veggies after sitting a while.
- kale: Be sure and remove the spiny stem from all your kale leave before chopping.
- cilantro: I like to bunch my cilantro all together and cut it with scissors
- pumpkin seeds: raw or toasted, whichever you prefer
- pomegranate seeds
- extra virgin olive oil: Be sure you use first pressed olive oil for the best flavor
- honey: this is optional but, even if you add it, the calories are still low
*See the recipe card for a complete list of ingredients and measurements
Detox salad for weight loss
This detox salad is a healthy, bright winter salad that is colorful like the rainbow and packed with nutritious superfood ingredients. This salad is made with a variety of vegetables and fruits, which helps create a healthy gut microbiome.
The more robust and diverse the bacteria in our gut is, the better our digestion will be, which in turn means, the more our bodies can do with the food we’re eating and the better our overall health will be. So have at it, eat the rainbow!
MORE GREAT SALAD RECIPES
Pegan Diet Detox Salad
- 4 cups red cabbage very thinly sliced and loosely packed in the cup
- 4 cups kale thinly sliced kale, no stems and loosely packed in the cup
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped into small pieces, loosely packed. *hint I like to bunch my cilantro all together and cut with scissors.
- 1 cup yellow pepper diced into small pieces *Note: you could also add red, orange, and green peppers too if you prefer.
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup green apple one medium thinly sliced
- orange peel, seeded and diced into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lime juice only use freshly squeezed, not the kind in a bottle
- 2 tablespoon almond butter
- 3 tablespoons honey optional
- 1 inch ginger Peeled and finely grated. *only use fresh ginger, not powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Need an ingredient to make this recipe? Click this Instacart button and get what you need sent right to you.
- In a small jar that has a lid, mix together the olive oil, lime juice, almond butter, grated ginger, honey, and salt. Shake until smooth and blended well.
- Toss cabbage, kale, cilantro, apples, pumpkin seeds, yellow pepper, oranges, and pomegranate seeds in a medium-sized bowl.
- Drizzle the salad dressing over the veggies, stirring until the salad dressing is evenly distributed throughout the salad.
Need an item in the this recipe? Click the Instacart button and have it sent right to you.