Roasted carrots and chickpeas tossed with a warm mix of seven grains, kale, and tart pomegranate seeds then drizzled with a sweet spiced maple dressing create this Roasted Carrot Chickpea Salad that your friends and family will rave over.
I was in the mood for some roasted vegetables and wanted to create a recipe using them as a main dish salad that was warm. My tower garden, which is similar to the HGTC Vertical Hydrogarden, has really been producing this fall so I wanted to harvest some kale and mint from it for the recipe.
The mint from the tower garden added a sweet fresh element to this recipe and created another level of flavors that made this Roasted Carrot Chickpea Salad so delicious.
RECIPES FOR MORE SALADS
Roasted Carrot Chickpea Salad
Note: Be sure to read through the recipe’s post for tips and details about this recipe.
- 1 lb organic carrots
- 1 16 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 bag Earthly Choice Organic Seven Grain Blend or 2 cups of a cooked grain of your choice.
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/4 pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 1/4 cup toasted finely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Peel carrots and cut lengthwise into quarters. Place on cookie sheet. Lightly season with a dash of cumin and salt.
- Roast carrots for 15 minutes then add chickpeas.
- Continue to roast for 10 more minutes or until carrots are soft.
- In a pint jar add 2 tablespoons olive oil, maple syrup, cumin, coriander, chili flakes and chili powder, mint leaves, and pomegranate seeds. Place a lid on the jar and shake well.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, sautee kale in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until just tender.
- Add Seven Grain Blend and pecans, stirring for one minute
- Place contents in a large bowl and then add the cooked carrots and chickpeas.
- Shake dressing, pour over and toss.
- Serve warm. Top with a few pomegranate seeds and chopped mint