Roasted carrots and chickpeas tossed with a warm mix of seven grains, kale, and tart…
Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Soup is a smooth, sweet and creamy soup that is full of wonderful flavor.
Today was carrot day at our house. We were blessed with a bushel of fresh picked carrots this week. I canned most of them in quart jars, however I wanted to try something new with carrots besides just canning them.It was a cold rainy day so I created a Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Soup to warm us up with.
I wanted something easy to make since it has been a busy day of canning so I decided to put all the veggies in a large roasting pot. Matter of fact I was kind of lazy so I decided to cut the top of a garlic bulb off and wrap the bulb in foil. This makes for a smooth roasted garlic flavor and best part is you just squeeze the cooked garlic clove from the bottom and it slides right out. No pealing and chopping involved.
There are two essential kitchen items that I use regularly when cooking that made this soup recipe quick and easy. First, my all time favorite French oven by Le Creuset. I don’t know why but for some reason everything taste better when cooked in one of these.
The next item that is a must have in our kitchen is a Kitchen Aid Hand Blender. No kitchen should be without one of these. We have been through several models and brands over the years. The Kitchen Aid 5 speed hand blender has been the best product for the value that we have found so far.
I must say, our new recipe for Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Soup was delicious and we will be making this again for sure.Print
A smooth, sweet creamy soup full of wonderful flavor.
- 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 lbs carrots peeled and washed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Ranch flavor sour cream for garnish
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place carrots, onion and chickpeas in a large roasting pan.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over all
- Cut the top 1/4 of a garlic bulb off and discard. Place the bulb in aluminum foil, drizzle with a teaspoon olive oil, wrap tight and place in pan.
- Roast vegetables with lid on for 45 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.
- Remove roasted vegetables from oven. Carefully open foil. Break cloves apart, then pinch each one from the bottom so the roasted garlic falls into the pot of roasted vegetables.
- Add chicken broth, cumin, and salt
- Mix well with a hand held stick mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Add whipping cream and rewarm slightly for 5 minutes being sure not to scorch soup.
- Top with a dollop of ranch flavor sour cream and a pinch of red pepper flakes
Affiliate links within this post