Healthy Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Soup is a vegan carrot ginger soup with coconut milk to add a touch of sweetness. It’s perfect with a side salad for lunch. It only takes 20 minutes to make in one pot. Then allow it to simmer for an hour to infuse the flavors and soften the veggies before you blend it into a cream soup.
Today was carrot day at our house. We were blessed with a bushel of freshly picked carrots this week. I canned most of them in quart jars; however, I wanted to try something new with carrots besides just canning them. It was a cold rainy day, so I created this vegan carrot and chickpea soup.
How to make vegan carrot ginger soup from scratch
The nice thing about making this carrot chickpea soup is how easy it is to have a homemade soup for an evening meal. Roast your vegetables, and then blend with a few ingredients in your mixer and serve.
How to prepare carrots and vegtables
I like using my Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Round Dutch Oven to roast my vegetables in. They are a little pricey, but this is a kitchen tool you will have for a lifetime. As a matter of fact, the one in this picture was passed down to me from my mom.
- Peel your carrots and then slice into even size pieces
- For your onion, peel and quarter
- Slice off the peel from the ginger. You can leave it whole
- Rinse and drain one can of chickpeas
- Place all vegetables in a medium-size roasting pan. Spritz with olive oil. I found a great way to spray olive oil evenly using an Evo Sprayer Bottle. I have two, one for olive oil and one for vinegar; it’s a great way to spritz a fresh salad dressing on your leafy greens evenly.
What kindof chickpeas to use
I use one 14 oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained. Just toss them in the roasting pan with the other vegetables.
Did you know you are able to can your own chickpeas? Canning chickpeas yourself yields a superior product and opens the door to creating unique flavors not found in chickpeas’ common grocery store cans. To learn how to can your own chickpeas, be sure and visit my how to post: Canning Chickpeas
💭 Top tips
How to make the soup smooth and creamy
My secret to making this vegan ginger soup smooth and creamy is by using my Vitamix. There are other mixers and blender sticks you can use, but the Vitamix gives an almost perfect creamy soup texture. Also, my particular model, it heats the soup while blending. This is a great time saver and helps me not have to wash more pots and pans.
How to make the soup vegan
When I first made this soup, I was not vegan. I loved the soup but wanted to find an alternative to making it creamy. I found that adding a can of coconut cream was satisfying to get the same creamy flavor and texture. As a matter of fact, I like the way the coconut pair with ginger even better than dairy cream.
Ginger carrot soup
Carrots and ginger great-tasting partners. I use them both in my Easy Ginger Dressing recipe and this Carrot Chickpea Soup. This is an ingredient that if you really like ginger, I suggest doubling the amount. It’s just so good.
How to make the soup spicy
You could make this soup spicy by roasting a few Thai chili peppers with your vegetables. If you are not that brave, add a teaspoon or more dried chili flakes when you blend the soup in the Vitamix blender.
There are many ways to top this carrot soup with coconut and ginger.
- Shredded coconut
- Smoked paprika
- Chopped roasted nuts
- Fresh chopped herbs such as Thai basil or cilantro
- Swirl in some thick coconut cream on the top
- Small diced vegetables such as green peppers or green onions
Storing and reheating the soup
This soup can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. To reheat, pour in a pan and heat over medium-low. Stir every few minutes to ensure it does not stick.
Freezing the soup
The soup can be frozen. Be sure and use a container that has a good seal and is good for freezing. I suggest thawing it for 24 hours in the refrigerator before heating.
More great soup recipes
- Fresh Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- Mexican Vegan Tomato Soup
- Easy Toscana Zuppa Soup
- Wendy’s Chili Recipe
- Cincinnati Chili
Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Soup
Note: Be sure to read through the recipe’s post for tips and details about this recipe.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs carrots , peeled and washed
- 1 onion, medium, quartered
- 4 garlic, cloves
- 1 14 oz chickpeas, can, drained
- 1 ginger, 3-inch piece, fresh
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth, more if you like a thiner soup
- 1 14 oz coconut milk with cream, can
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- Peel carrots and slice into even pieces. Peel onion and quarter. Peel ginger and garlic
- Rinse and drain chickpeas
- Place carrots, onion, garlic, ginger, and chickpeas in a large roasting pan.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over all the vegetables and cover with a lid.
- Roast vegetables with lid on for 45 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.
- Remove roasted vegetables from the oven.
- Add roasted vegetables, vegetable broth, cumin, coconut cream milk, and salt in a blender. Blend on medium-high until smooth and creamy. Approximately 1 minute. Add more vegetable broth if you like a thinner soup.
- Top with shredded coconut, diced green onions, or fresh Thai basil