This best garlic hummus recipe is an easy homemade recipe that is delicious and the greatest part is, hummus is good for you, so indulge without guilt.
Tips for making the best hummus
- First, start with well-cooked chippersCanning chickpeas yourself yields a superior product and opens the door to creating unique flavors not found in common grocery store cans of chickpeas. I like canning my own which is economical and easy to do. If you would like to give it a try then head on over to my post Canning Chickpeas. If canning is not for you then pick up a few organic canned chickpeas at your local grocery.
- Next, be sure and purchase good quality tahini. All tahini is not created equal and this is a case, you get what you pay for.
- Be sure and use freshly squeezed lemon juice, not the kind that comes in a green bottle. It does make a difference!
- Roast your own garlic. It's easy, just cut the top tips off of a whole garlic bulb, drizzle with a little olive oil and salt then wrap in a foil. Bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees. Allow to cool, then pinch out the individual cloves.
What is the best way to cook garlic?
Roasting your own garlic is easy and mellows out the flavor to a smooth creamy texture. It's perfect in recipes that call for garlic and makes a delicious spread on crackers or toasted bread.
- Remove loose outer layer of whole garlic head. Cut off about 1/4 of the tips of the garlic head. Drissel 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the head and seal in foil.
- Roast in 350-degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes until soft.
- Open garlic pack and squeeze garlic cloves out of the skin
What are the benefits of eating roasted garlic?
- Roasting garlic concentrates the sugars, transforming it into a caramelized, spreadable, buttery texture. The roasting process removes the sharp pungy bite you get with raw garlic.
- Roasted garlic is easier to digest for many people.
- It gives sweetness and depth to the dishes you are already making: soups stews, salad dressings, marinades, sauces, and dips.
- It smells amazing when roasting it in your oven. Your how will smell amazing and make everyone that walks in hungry.
How long can hummus sit out?
Wondering how long hummus can sit out? Here is the BEST TIPS GUIDE FOR STORING AND SERVING HUMMUS.
More hummus recipes
Love a recipe you've tried? 😋 Please give it a star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. Stay in touch with me through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
🎉 Be sure and sign up to get your free Snack Attack Ecookbook I'll send it right to you and keep you up to date with all that is happing on Intentional Hospitality
Best Garlic Hummus Recipe
- 1 15 oz chickpeas 15 ounces can chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups of your own canned chickpeas. Rinse and drain.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water boiling
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 medium bulb of garlic.
- ½ teaspoon fine salt to taste
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cold water more as needed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked fresh pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Toppings could include olives, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, paprika, and cashews
Need an ingredient to make this recipe? Click this Instacart button and get what you need sent right to you.
- Place raw cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak for at least 1 hour to soften.
- Cut the top tips off of the whole garlic bulb, drizzle with a little olive oil and salt then wrap in a foil. Bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees. Allow to cool, then pinch out the individual cloves into a small bowl. This can be done the day before and kept in the refrigerator.
- Place soaked cashews, chickpeas, lemon juice, roasted garlic, salt, tahini, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a blender. Puree on medium-high for two minutes, or until all ingredients are smooth and creamy. You might need to add a few tablespoons of water if the mixture seems thick.
- Place on a serving plate, drizzle with olive oil. You can top with chopped olives, cashews, fresh basil, a sprinkle of smoked paprika, and cherry tomatoes. Serve with pita chips, crackers or fresh cut vegetables.
Need an item in the this recipe? Click the Instacart button and have it sent right to you.