Lima bean hummus is a smooth buttery dip that is perfect with crackers, bread, and vegetables or as a condiment on sandwiches.
I am a big hummus fan, and I'm always on the lookout for recipes to kick my hummus up a notch in flavor and nutrition. I tried a new recipe that I think you are really going to like.
ARE LIMA BEANS GOOD FOR YOU?
According to whfoods.org, lima beans are an excellent source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. They provide a virtually fat-free high-quality protein.
They also offer a notable contribution to heart health, which lies not just in their fiber but in the significant amounts of folate and magnesium these beans supply. Folate helps lower levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that is an intermediate product in a necessary metabolic process called the methylation cycle.
HOW TO PREAPARE LIMA BEANS?
INSTANT POT LIMA BEANS
- Place 4 cups of fresh or frozen beans, 3 cups vegetable broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 bay leaf in Instant Pot. Lock the lid, close the vent, and set manual time for 7 minutes on high pressure.
- Once cook time is complete, quick-release the pressure.
- Open the lid and add salt if needed. Mix well, then allow to sit for at least 10 minutes on the warm setting.
IS LIMA BEANS HUMMUS THE SAME AS BUTTER BEAN HUMMUS?
Ok, there is some debate over the difference between butter beans and lima beans. Some people argue they’re different beans. Others say that lima beans are a mature butter bean, while butter beans are baby limas. I have found it depends on where you grew up. Country folks tend to call them butter beans while city folks say lima beans. Either way they both work in this butter bean hummus.
HOW LONG CAN HUMMUS SIT OUT?
Wondering how long hummus can sit out? Here is the BEST TIPS GUIDE FOR STORING AND SERVING HUMMUS.
HUMMUS WITHOUT CHICKPEAS?
Good news for those who do not want to cook with chickpeas, this lima bean hummus is chickpea free!
HOW TO MAKE LIMA BEAN HUMMUS
FRESH, FROZEN OR CANNED LIMA BEANS?
For this lima bean hummus it is best to start with frozen or fresh lima beans. I like to cook them stove top or in my instant pot. This allows me to add my own seasoning and eliminate the pasty starch that canned limas can have.
WHAT IS IN LIMA BEAN HUMMUS?
- lima beans
- vegetable broth
- tahini paste
- olive oil
- white vinegar
WHAT DO YOU MAKE HUMMUS IN?
You can use a food processor but I find you do not get as creamy of a product as a blender will yield. I like to use my Vitamix. It is strong enough I can even put whole nuts in it and they turn out smooth and creamy.
WHAT KIND OF OIL TO USE
When making hummus it is best to use a good quality cold-pressed organic olive oil. The flavor is light and is much better than processed oils such as canola or vegetable oils.
Olive oil is also loaded with powerful antioxidants. These antioxidants are biologically active and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases. They also fight inflammation and help protect your blood cholesterol from oxidation which are two benefits that may lower your risk of heart disease.
WHAT IS TAHINI?
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds and is a staple in many cuisines, especially in the Mediterranean and the Middle East. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and has a light nutty flavor.
If you like your hummus with a litte spice try these add ins to your recipe
- 1 tablespoon chopped and seeded jalapeno
- 1 - 2 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (my favorite all-around spicy blend)
- Top with chopped ham and black pepper
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
Lima bean hummus can be made ahead of the time you want to serve. Store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Stir will before placing in a serving dish.
HOW LONG IS LIMA BEAN HUMMUS GOOD?
If stored in good airtight container homemade hummus can be kept in the refrigerator for three to five days.
CAN I FREEZE LIMA BEAN HUMMUS?
Hummus can be frozen in an airtight, freezer-safe container. When filling be sure you don't fill it all the way to the top because it will expand as it freezes. You can freeze serveral cups in a container or use individual size contaier. To thaw place in refrigerator over
TIPS FOR SERVING LIMA BEAN HUMMUS
MORE GREAT HUMMUS RECIPES
If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ It helps others find the recipe! ❤️️ Also, I love to hear from my readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. I'm always looking for new ideas for posts that would help you. Don't forget if you do make this recipe, tag me @intentionalhospitality on Instagram so I can share it with my followers. I would love to see your yummy creation.
Lima Bean Hummus
Instant Pot Ingredients
- 2 cups lima beans fresh or fresly frozen
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme chopped fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper cracked fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt pink Himalaya
Lima Beans Cooked In An Instant Pot
- Place fresh or frozen beans, vegetable broth, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf in Instant Pot. Lock the lid, close the vent, and set manual time for 7 minutes on high pressure.
- Once cook time is complete, quick-release the pressure.
- Open the lid and add salt if needed. Mix well and remove bay leaf. Drain, saving the juice if needed to thin hummus.
- In a blender add lima beans and all the other ingredients, slowly blend until smooth. The hummus will be thick so it is good to turn off the blender and scrape sides a few times in the blending process. If need be, add a tablespoon of lima bean juice each time until hummus is smooth.
- Serve with pita bread, crackers or vegetables. Toppings could include olive oil, chopped parsley, or whole lima beans.