If you are looking for an easy one-dish Mexican meal idea then you need to try this Nacho Casserole. It has layers of classic nacho ingredients layered between tortilla chips or Doritos smothered in a creamy beef and cheese sauce. This casserole can be made the morning before dinner, kept in the fridge then bake for dinner for a warm quick dinner.
Why is this recipe so good?
A Nacho casserole is an easy way to serve nachos to a crowd all in one dish. Classic nacho ingredients such as cheese, peppers, onions, seasoned meat, and salsa are layered between nacho chips and topped with melted cheese.
Ideas for when to serve
- Game night
- When you need to prepare a meal ahead of serving time
- A busy family night
- Cinco De Mayo party
- Use for a Meal Train meal to a family in need
- Back yard dinner party
How can you make nachos for a crowd?
Making nachos for a crow is easy when you layer all the classic nacho ingredients into a casserole dish and bake. You can make multiple casserole dishes, some spicy, some with beans, and various seasoned meats. There will be a favorite for everyone in your crowd.
What kind of chips to use
It's best to choose a thicker chip for this recipe. Any store brand or your favorite taco chip will work.
What kind of baking dish should I use?
Why not give your casserole a true Mexican feel by serving it in this authentic hand-painted baking dish.
Nacho doritos recipe
You can have a lot of fun changing up the flavor of a Doritos recipe nachos. Choose one of the Dorito favorites to kick up the flavor profile of your nachos to just the way you like it.
- DORITOS® FLAMIN' HOT® Nacho Flavored Tortilla Chips: If you dare!
- DORITOS® FLAMIN' HOT® Limón Flavored Tortilla Chips: Lime and heat, great for your casserole
- DORITOS® Nacho Cheese Flavored Tortilla Chips: Classic
- DORITOS® COOL RANCH® Flavored Tortilla Chips: Top your casserole with ranch dressing
- Doritos Poppin’ Jalapeno® Flavored Tortilla Chips: Add in some pickled jalapenos
- DORITOS® Salsa Verde Flavored Tortilla Chips: Top with Green Tomato Salsa
How to serve
After baking allow the casserole to cool for 4 or 5 minutes before serving. Slice in squares like you would a lasagna. Using a spatula live out the squares and place them on a plate. Top with salsa, sour cream, or try one of the toppings below.
You can add a variety of toppings in bowls for your family or guest to choose from for their toppings.
- Sour cream
- Authentic Mexican Restaurant Style Salsa
- Chopped green onions
- Crumbled bacon
- A variety of hot sauces
- Sliced olives
- Spicy Pico de Gall
Tips for preparing ahead
This casserole can be made ahead, just as the recipe instructs. After assembling, place it in the refrigerator and bake just before you are ready to serve. I suggest only preparing ahead a day or two only.
Chicken nacho casserole
To make it easy, I like to buy an already cooked rotisserie chicken. I pull and shred all the meat off and add a few tablespoons of my Homemade Mexican Seasoning Mix. Add 1/3 cup of water and toss well. I then layer it into my nacho casserole.
What to serve the casserole with
- Festive Mexican Rice Salad: Mexican Rice Salad is the perfect budget-friendly salad bursting with flavor and is a hearty dish made with black beans, whole grain brown rice, colorful veggies all tossed in a cilantro lime dressing.
- Mexican Coleslaw Salad: I little bit of spice, cilantro, fresh slaw, and a touch of sweetness makes this Mexican Coleslaw a perfect side salad for your next Mexican meal.
- Mexican Chopped Salad: Mexican Chopped Salad is a yummy salad full of southwest flavors.
- Mexican Vegan Tomato Soup: Preparing your own fresh Mexican Vegan Tomato Soup is easy and a healthier alternative to canned soup.
Easy Mexican party theme ideas
Try these Easy Mexican Party Theme Ideas and Recipes, your friends and family will be raving how clever you are for throwing such a great party!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning divided
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 10 oz green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup peppers green, red, yellow, and orange, chopped (divided)
- 1 cup pinto beans rinse and drained (optional) (divided)
- 2 cups corn caned (divided)
- 3 cup grated cheese Mexican blend or cheddar (divided)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (divided)
- 2 cups tortilla chips or Nacho flavored Doritos (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Brown the meat and onion in a skillet until the meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in taco seasoning.
- In a mixing bowl stir cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, 1 10 can green enchilada sauce, and salsa. Stir until creamy and smooth
- Place 1/2 of the taco chips on the bottom of baking dish.
- Evenly spoon 1/2 of the cream cheese enchilada sauce over the chips.
- Next, evenly layer 1/2 of the ground beef mixture then 1/2 the peppers, followed by 1/2 of the corn, beans, and then shredded cheese.
- Repeat the layers in the same order again.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes (or until heated through and cheese is melted). Garnish with optional toppings.