Shrimp Pico De Gallo is full of zesty lime flavor, sweet onion, cilantro and yummy…
It’s quick and easy to learn how to make this Spicy Pico de Gallo using simple fresh ingredients. Pico De Gallo is a low-calorie condiment that adds a punch of authentic Mexican flavor to just about any Mexican meal.
What To Eat Pico De Gallo With
Pico De Gallo is perfect in tacos, bean burritos, spooned over grilled vegetables, as a salsa with chips. One of my personal favorite ways is over fried potatoes. It would also be great with pasta or tossed in a salad. Basically, it’s a perfect condiment for an array of foods!
How To Make Spicy Pico De Gallo
- Fresh tomatoes, vine-ripened if possible are a must. Be sure and choose your tomatoes well, look for slightly firm ripe tomatoes that are deep in color. Pick up your tomatoes and smell it, it should have a sweet earthy smell. Usually, red tomatoes are more acidic and flavorful but adding a yellow tomato to your Pico De Gallo would make it look festive.
- Sweet onions are my favorite for Pico De Gallo since you are eating them raw. A sweeter onion helps balance the jalapeno’s heat.
- Fresh lime juice is the base seasoning that keeps it all fresh and tangy. So don’t skimp and use that green squeeze bottle of juice! Pick a fresh ripe lime, cut it in half and squeeze the juice right into your pico de gallo.
- Cilantro is zest to the flavor of this sauce. Be sure and use freshly chopped not dried out of a jar. After washing mine I like to grab the whole bundle in one hand and cut the leaves off with scissors.
- Jalapenos are the heat to fresh Pico De Gallo and you can add a little or a lot. I like taking the seeds out of my jalapeno to cool it down some. That way I can add more. If I am serving someone that likes a lot of heat I add some crushed red peppers to their bowl.
- Salt and sugar are used to draw out the flavor of the tomatoes and raw onions. You only need a pinch of each. Let your Pico De Gallo rest for 20 minutes or so after adding these. This will enhance your flavor, sort of the secret ingredients to good taste.
Be sure and try is my Cuban Homemade Sazon seasoning. Sazon gives your food a warm and comforting flavor that is not spicy.
Spicy Pico De Gallo
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes diced fresh tomatoes cored and seeded
- 1/3 cup sweet red onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed then minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- Juice of one lime freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red peppers optional
- Place all ingredients into a bowl except crushed red peppers. Stir well and place in refrigerator for 20 minutes before serving.
- Top with crushed red peppers, if you dare.