Extremely cheesy vegan nacho cheese sauce is easy to make. It's full of healthy ingredients…
Vegan White Bean Chili is a healthy and hearty meal loaded with a variety of beans, fresh corn, and authentic Mexican spice. It’s also gluten and dairy-free.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links in my post are affiliate links and I will earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. I will recommend products that I find to be of great quality and use! All proceeds go back into maintaining and creating for this site. Thank you!Jump to Recipe
WHAT IS VEGAN WHITE BEAN CHILI?
This super healthy chili is vegan because it contains no ingredients from an animal. If you would like it creamy, adding a can of coconut milk would be a great substitute for a dairy option.
IS THIS A VEGETARIAN CHILE?
The recipe is completely vegetarian. It’s loaded with plant-based ingredients such as beans, peppers, onions, and seasonings. A basic boxed vegetable broth is also added.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN WHITE BEAN CHILI RECIPE
WHAT TYPES OF BEANS ARE IN CHILI?
I beefed up (no pun intended) this no-meat chili with a variety of beans to give it flavor and make it as filling as chili with meat. This is a versatile recipe, and you really could use about any canned bean you have on hand.
If you like adding chickpeas, I would suggest my post on Canning Chickpeas. Canning your own yields a superior product and opens the door to creating unique flavors not found in common grocery store cans of chickpeas.
- great white northern
- white kidney beans
- pinot beans
- pink beans
- black beans
ARE GREAT NORTHERN BEANS THE AS AS WHITE CHILI BEAN?
For this recipe, I used great northern beans for my white chili beans. However, you could use cannellini beans. Cannellini beans and great northern beans are both white in color and are similar in taste. They’re high in soluble fiber, low in fat, and have no cholesterol, making them both a healthy addition to this vegan chili.
CHILI WITH COCONUT MILK
Are you looking for a slightly sweet creamy bean chili? Try adding one can of Unsweetened Coconut Milk to this recipe while it simmers. It will create a creamy sweet broth.
HOW TO MAKE CHILI SPICY
If you like your chili spicy, then I suggest adding a teaspoon of one of these spicy seasonings while your chili is simmering.
- For a little heat, I use: Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
- If you like it hot then try: Ground Jalapeño Pepper
- For some flaming chili use: Habanero Ground Pepper (be careful!)
TOPPINGS FOR CHILI
One of our family’s favorite add-ins to soups are sweet and spicy jalapeno Canned Cowboy Candy. Canned Cowboy Candy is the perfect way to preserve many jalapenos in an addictive sweet and spicy sauce. They are also great on burgers, Mexican foods, in dips, and pimento cheese spread.
- pickled jalapenos (see recipe above)
- taco chips
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
- shredded cheese
HEALTHY CHILI IN A SLOW COOKER
- Cook on medium heat the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet for about 5 minutes. Put in the crockpot when finished.
- Add all other ingredients to the crockpot.
- Cover and set the temperature to LOW for 6 hours, or set on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Serve with taco chips, avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, and hot sauce.
USING AN INSTANT POT FOR THE CHILI
I suggest you used already cooked canned beans for this recipe. If you have dried beans, you might want to precook them in your instant pot before cooking the chili.
- Set Instant Pot to saute, and add oil, onion, and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, occasionally stirring, until onion softens, 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Lock lid and set machine to cook at high pressure for 13 minutes. When finished, carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position to release the pressure.
HOW TO CAN CHILI
A great way to always have a healthy quick meal on hand is to can a big batch of this white bean chili. Make a triple batch of the recipe and then follow the instructions for Canned Vegetable Soup. It’s easy and oh so delicious! You also might like to try Canned Chili Recipe
HOW TO STORE THE LEFTOVERS AND REHEAT IN MICROWAVE
Place leftover soup in a airtight container. Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, pour the soup into a microwave-safe container that leaves several inches of room from the top.
- Place a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap on top of the container, leaving a small opening at the side as a vent.
- Heat for 1 minute, stir and heat again for 30 seconds or until warm.
CAN YOU FREEZE CHILI?
If you have leftovers a great way to save it for another meal is to freeze it. You can do individual serving size in a small bag or gallon size for a family of 4.
- Allow the chili to cool down to room temperature.
- Use thick, durable freezer bags or airtight freezer containers.
- Lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet and freeze.
- Defrost in the fridge overnight.
- You could also defrost in a bowl of room temperature water.
- To defrost quickly, use the defrost setting on a microwave.
Vegan White Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion medium, chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 corn ear of fresh, cut off the cob or 1/2 cup frozen
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour Use almond flour for a gluten-free recipe
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounce great northern beans canned, rinsed, and drained
- 15 ounce chickpeas canned, rinsed, and drained
- 15 ounce white kidney beans canned, rinsed, and drained
- 4 ounce chopped green chilies can, mild or medium
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized stockpot over medium heat
- Add onion, peppers, corn and shallots, saute for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic, cumin, and coriander and saute for another 3o second
- Next, add flour into vegetables, stirring constantly until all vegetables are coated. Slowly add vegetable stock, while stirring, and then add in the beans, and green chilies.
- Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.