Black Eyed Pea Hummus is where the south meets traditional hummus with a twist in this delicious, slightly nutty flavored dip. It's simple to make in your food processor and only takes 7 minutes. The best part is, this delicious snack dip is good for you, packed with protein and fiber.
Why make this recipe?
Black-eyed pea hummus is a creamy hummus that uses black-eyed peas instead of traditional chickpeas.
It took me a while to be converted to back-eyed peas vs. my Hoosier navy beans I grew up with. But once I did, there was no turning back. That’s why I love this recipe. where the south meets traditional hummus with a twist. Not only is it great tasting it’s very nutritious.
Are Black-eyed Peas Good Luck?
Southerners serve black-eyed peas for good luck every New Year's Day. This recipe is unique and delicious, and quick to make Black-Eyed Peas. Then make a traditional Northern dinner of Pork And Sauerkraut with a side of these healthy Southern Collard Greens. If you need a New Year's Eve party idea, be sure to visit New Year's Eve Party Themes for Adults.
Is hummus healthy?
This hummus is a great healthy snack that you can indulge in. According to WebMD, these tasty little beans are a great source of protein. One cup of black-eyed peas contains 13.3 grams of protein which is 27 percent of your recommended daily allowance. Also, black-eyed peas help prevent anemia since they are an excellent source of iron.
How long can hummus sit out?
Wondering how long hummus can sit out? Here is the BEST TIPS GUIDE FOR STORING AND SERVING HUMMUS.
Is it vegan?
Not only is this hummus healthy, but it is also vegan. All the oils used are plant-based, and the base is made out of beans. There are no dairy or animal fats in the recipe.
How many calories in the hummus
Black eyed pea hummus has 256 calories per 1/3 cup.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 393mg | Potassium: 182mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 33IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 2mg
WHAT IS IN BLACK EYED BEAN DIP
- black eyed peas
- red pepper flakes
- apple cider vinegar
- olive oil
Not only is the hummus good for you but it is also very quick and easy to make. It's perfect for serving guests or late-night snacking.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blend until creamy and smooth, about one minute.
How to serve
Place in a serving bowl, top with a few whole black eyed peas and red pepper flakes. Serve with soft pita bread or crackers. Refrigerate up to one week.
How to store left overs
If you happen to have leftovers you can place the hummus in an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one week.
How to freeze hummus
- Spoon the hummus into a freezer-safe container.
- Pour a little extra olive oil on top of the hummus to form a seal that prevents the hummus from losing its moisture in the freezer.
- Freeze the hummus for up to four months.
- To thaw place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
More hummus recipes
- Cauliflower Hummus has a creamy nutty flavor, with hints of roasted garlic, cumin, and sesame. It is a nutritious snack that is paleo, keto, and vegan.
- Lima bean hummus is a smooth buttery dip that is perfect with crackers, bread, and vegetables or as a condiment on sandwiches.
- This best hummus recipe is an easy homemade recipe that is delicious and the greatest part is, hummus is good for you, so indulge without guilt.
- Y’all are going to love this Boiled Peanut Hummus! A smooth, nutty flavor with a punch of lemon and garlic makes this a southern hummus boiled peanut recipe you will make again and again.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Black Eyed Pea Hummus
To save you ink, video and equipment images will not print.
Need an ingredient to make this recipe? Click this Instacart button and get what you need sent right to you.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blend until creamy and smooth, about one minute
- Place in a serving bowl, top with a few whole black eyed peas and red pepper flakes. Serve with soft pita bread or crackers. Refrigerate up to one week.
Need an item in the this recipe? Click the Instacart button and have it sent right to you.