You will definitely want to make this delicious and easy Slow Cooker Pollo Verde Recipe highlighting a fresh roasted salsa verde. A step-by-step guide will show you how to make this mouth-watering Pollo Verde dish with a simple and quick tangy salsa verde recipe.
Tender chicken cooked in a flavorful green sauce made with tangy tomatillos, cilantro, garlic, and poblanos married together with the ease of a slow cooker.
I love Mexican food, so if we have a large group of friends coming over, a Mexican Dinner Party is my top choice for an easy menu. I start with a few of these Easy Mexican Appetizers, then I whip up a few salads, such as Mexican Coleslaw, Mexican Caviar, or Mexican Rice Salad. Then I serve Mexican Tomato Soup. For an easy one-dish main course, I make Beef Nacho Casserole.
For more Mexican party recipes and decoration ideas, be sure to visit 50 Mexican Party Theme Ideas and Recipes.
What Is Pollo Verde?
Pollo Verde is a Mexican dish made with chicken and a chile green sauce. The green sauce is typically made with tomatillos, which are small green fruit that is similar to a tomato, but with a slightly tangy taste. Other ingredients in the sauce may include jalapeño or poblano peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice.
Why This Chicken Verde Will Become A Favorite Recipe
- Versatile: If you enjoy a variety of Mexican foods, this versatile recipe can be used to make burritos, tacos, salads, nachos, and burrito bowls.
- Make-Ahead: You can prep this recipe hours before dinner and let your slow cooker do all the work.
- Healthy Meal: This is a great recipe for a healthy Mexican dinner. It's packed with fresh veggies and lean chicken meat that will surely be a hit with everyone.
- Classic Mexican: The green chile sauce is a traditional Mexican sauce that makes an authentic chicken chile verde recipe. It's sure to become part of your favorite recipes.
Ingredients Needed For Pollo Verde Recipe
- Chicken Breasts: You will need 3 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast.
- Poblano Peppers: These green chiles are a large type of mild chile pepper with dark green, shiny skin. Poblano peppers have a mild to medium level of heat, with a Scoville heat rating of around 1,000 to 2,000. This makes them much milder than jalapeño peppers.
- Bell Pepper: A sweet yellow bell pepper is what I use for this recipe. However, you could use a green, orange, or red bell pepper.
- Onion: Use white or yellow onion, preferably a sweet variety like Videllia.
- Garlic: Use freshly peeled whole cloves. Do not use the already minced garlic you can buy in a jar.
- Cilantro: Be sure to only use fresh cilantro, not dried. Don't worry about the stems; throw it all in since this recipe will be put through the blender. They yield some great flavor.
- Seasonings: You will need dried oregano and cumin for this recipe.
- Tomatillos: A tomatillo is a small green fruit similar in size and appearance to a tomato but with a papery husk that covers the fruit. The tomatillo has a tangy flavor with a slightly citrusy flavor. Peel the fresh tomatillo husks off and discard them. Wash the fruit thoroughly before. This will remove the sticky coating and any dirt or debris the husks harbored.
Produce Tip: When buying tomatillos at the grocery store, look for firm and bright green fruits with tight-fitting husks. The husks should be dry and intact, without any signs of mold or discoloration. Avoid tomatillos that are soft, wrinkled, or have a yellow or brown color, as this indicates that they are overripe or spoiled.
⭐️ See the recipe card for a complete list of ingredients and measurements.
How To Make pollo verde in a slow cooker
1 Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Peel the papery covering off the tomatillos and discard. Wash the tomatillos. Slice them into quarters and place them onto the baking sheet.
3. Peel and rough chop the onion, then place it on the baking sheet.
4. Core and remove the seeds from the poblano and orange bell pepper. Cut into large pieces and mix with the other veggies on the baking sheet.
5. Peel garlic cloves. Mix in with the veggies on the baking sheet.
6. Roast the veggies for 10 to 15 minutes or until they start to char a bit on the tips and become soft.
7. Remove the veggies from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
8. Place the chicken breast in the bottom of the slow cooker crock in a single layer.
9. Add the roasted veggies and fresh cilantro into a blender or food processor. Pulse on high until the veggies and broth form a smooth sauce. This should take about 30 seconds.
10. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
11. Stir in the oregano, cumin, and chicken broth. Be sure the chicken is completely covered.
12. Place the lid on your slow cooker. Cook at high temperature for 3 1/2 hours.
Serve over brown jasmin rice instant pot recipe topped with fresh cilantro and chopped Cowboy Candy. (pickled jalapenos)🔥
This Pollo Verde is a versatile recipe that can be used in many Mexican dishes.
- Tacos: Shred the cooked chicken and serve it in warm tortillas with fresh salsa, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Rice and Beans: Serve the shredded chicken over a bed of coconut rice and beans, with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
- Salad: Slice the chicken and serve it over a bed of greens with diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, and a drizzle of olive oil and lime juice. Mix 1/2 cup of the verde sauce with 1/2 cup of mayo for a quick salad dressing.
- Nachos: Layer tortilla chips with cooked chicken, melted cheese, black beans, and pickled jalapenos. Bake until the cheese is melted. Top with the Verde sauce and serve with salsa and guacamole.
- Enchiladas: Roll the chicken in tortillas with cheese and top with enchilada sauce. Bake until the cheese is melted, and serve with rice and beans.
- Tostadas: Layer this chicken chile verde on a tostada, then top with lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo, and guac.
- Bell Peppers: You can also use green, orange, or red bell pepper. The key is to choose a pepper without heat.
- Tomatillos: If you can not find tomatillos at your local grocery, you can substitute them with unripe green tomatoes.
- Chicken: This recipe would be great with boneless skinless chicken thighs. If you are short on time, you could use chicken tenders.
- Chicken broth: For a healthier twist, use chicken bone broth.
Smart Shortcut Ideas: If you are pressed for time, you can use 4 cups of store bought green salsa verde instead of roasting your veggies. Officially you could call your dinner salsa verde chicken recipe. Another 💡great idea is to can your own salsa verde without a pressure cooker and pull a jar off the shelf when you want to make this recipe.
FAQs and Tips For Making Chicken Verde
Read through these tips and questions about making chicken verde in your slow cooker. Be sure to print the menu ideas for sides and desserts to go with your salsa verde chicken.
How can I make chicken verde spicier?
To make this chicken verde spicer, add a large cored and seeded jalapeno pepper to the pan when roasting the veggies.
Can You Overcook Chicken Breast In A Slow Cooker?
In a slow cooker, chicken can be overcooked. The chicken will get dry if it is overcooked. Check your chicken for doneness early on, especially if you're making it for the first time.
💡To learn more about using a slow cooker properly, visit my Slow Cooker Safty Questions and Answers. If you have a slow cooker mishap, such as soups or sauces that are too runny when done cooking, then check out my Rescue: How To Thicken Sauces, Soups, and Stews In A Slow Cooker.
What does Pollo Verde mean?
Pollo Verde" is a Spanish term that translates to "Green Chicken" in English. The name is derived from the vibrant green color of the sauce used to prepare the dish, typically made with tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeños, or other green chilies.
Make It A Meal 🇲🇽
Wonder what do you eat with chile verde? Here is a great menu idea for your next Mexican Dinner.
What To Do With Leftovers
- Let the chicken cool down to room temperature before storing it.
- Transfer the chicken to an airtight container. You can use a plastic container or a resealable freezer bag.
- If you're storing the chicken in the refrigerator, use it within 3-4 days. It can stay fresh for up to 3 months if you're storing it in the freezer.
- Label the container or bag with the date you stored it and briefly describe the contents. I like to use washi tape and a permanent marker for this task.
- If you're storing the chicken in the freezer, remove as much air as possible from the container or bag to prevent freezer burn.
- When ready to use the frozen leftover Pollo Verde, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. You can then reheat it in the microwave or on the stove until it's warmed all the way through.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. This helps others find great recipes.
Slow Cooker Chicken In Green Salsa; Pollo Verde Recipe
Be sure to read through the recipe's post for tips and details about this recipe. To save you ink, video and equipment images will not print.
Roasted Salsa Verde
- 6 tomatillos large tomatillos with husks removed, washed and chopped into quarters
- 1 onion outside skin removed and cut into quarters
- 2 poblano peppers large size, cored, seeded, and cut into large pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper large size, cored seeded, and cut into large pieces
- 3 cloves garlic large cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup cilantro washed
- 3 pounds chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 cup chicken broth
Need an ingredient to make this recipe? Click this Instacart button and get what you need sent right to you.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 375 degrees Ferinhight.
Roasted Salsa Verde
- Peel the papery covering off the tomatillos and discard. Wash the tomatillos. Slice them into quarters and place them onto the baking sheet.6 tomatillos
- Peel and rough chop the onion, then place it on the baking sheet.1 onion
- Core and remove the seeds from the poblano and orange bell pepper. Cut into large pieces and mix with the other veggies on the baking sheet.2 poblano peppers, 1 orange bell pepper
- Peel garlic cloves. Mix in with the veggies on the baking sheet.3 cloves garlic
- Roast the veggies for 10 to 15 minutes or until they start to char a bit on the tips and become soft.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted veggies and fresh cilantro into a blender or food processor. Pulse on high until the veggies and broth form a smooth sauce. This should take about 30 seconds.1/2 cup cilantro
- Place the chicken breast in the bottom of the slow cooker crock in a single layer.3 pounds chicken
- Pour the roasted salsa verde sauce over the chicken.
- Stir in the oregano, cumin, and chicken broth. Be sure the chicken is completely covered.1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 cup chicken broth
- Place the lid on your slow cooker. Cook at high temperature for 3 1/2 to four hours. Check the chicken's internal temperature with a meat thermometer. It needs to be 165 degrees F. to ensure it is safely cooked throughout.
Need an item in the this recipe? Click the Instacart button and have it sent right to you.
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe