How to make roast beef in an Instant Pot
For this recipe, I start with high-quality ethically raised USDA Certified meat delivered right to my door from Honeytown Meats.
I grew up on a family dairy farm in Indiana, It is important to me how the animals are raised and cared for. They live by the motto: If you are good to your animals, they will be good to you. The owner Logan tells us, “The animals are our heart and soul; We do everything right with them. They are our passion.”
It was so simple to have this gorgeous roast delivered right to my door. It was packed with dry ice and still frozen from the trip from Ohio to GA in 100 degree weather.
What ingredients are used to make pot roast and gravy?
- chuck or blade roast
- olive oil
- powdered brown gravy mix
- powdered au jus mix
- dry onion soup mix
- corn starch
Tips for cooking beef in an Instant Pot
Here are some tips from the makers of the Instant Pot that will help ensure your roast beef and gravy is perfect every time.
- Raw meat is perishable and should not be left at room temperature for more than 2 hours. 1 hour if room temperature is above 32°C / 90°. When using the [Delay Start] program, do not set time for more than 1-2 hours. We recommend to pre-cook meat and select [Keep Warm] or [Warm] program to maintain the food at the correct serving temperature.
- Do not try to thicken the sauce before cooking. Corn starch, flour or arrow-root may deposit on the bottom of the inner pot and block heat dissipation. As a result, the pressure cooker may overheat.
What sides go well with pot roast?
One of my favorite sides to load all my gravy on is mashed potatoes. Be sure and try my Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes recipe. They are smooth, creamy with a hint of Tuscan herbs, and so rich no one will miss the dairy.
How to use left over roast
- Make sandwiches. Use a good crusty bread and drizzle gravy over your meat. Horseradish sauce makes a great spread.
- Add shredded pot roast to cooked egg noodles and toss with gravy.
- Tacos or nachos
- Add leftovers to a beef-based soup.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES
- Instant Pot Coconut Rice (this would go great with this simple dal recipe)
- Indian Toor Dal Instant Pot Recipe With Rice
- Instant Pot Vegan Bolognese
- Instant Pot Applesauce
- Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts
If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ It helps others find the recipe! ❤️️ Also, I love to hear from my readers and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. I'm always looking for new ideas for posts that would help you. Don't forget if you do make this recipe, tag me @intentionalhospitality on Instagram so I can share it with my followers. I would love to see your yummy creation.
Instant Pot Roast Beef and Lots of Gravy
- 4 lb chuck or blade roast boned or boneless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 - .87 ounce gravy mix packets of your favorite powdered brown gravy mix
- 1 - .87 ounce au jus mix packet of powdered
- 1 dry onion soup mix packet
- 2 tablespoons parsley dry
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- Set your Instant Pot to saute, add olive oil then sear the roast on both sides.
- Add in all of the packets, parsley followed by the water. Whisk until blended well.
- Close the lid and seal, making sure that the value is set on SEALING.
- Use the manual button and t set the pressure on high for 15 minutes per pound.
- When done cooking let the pressure release naturally for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk 3 tablespoons cornstarch into 1/3 cup cold milk
- Remove meat, then turn Instant pot to sautee.
- I like to drain the grease out of the cooked broth using an OXO Fat Separator first. Then return broth to Instant Pot
- Add cornstarch and milk mixture to Instant Pot. With emersion blender, mix for 30 seconds. Cook for 4 minutes.