If you need a quick and healthy keto bread recipe, then you need to try these chaffles! The Best White Wonder Bread Chaffle Recipe is an easy substitute for regular white bread when making sandwiches.
I also share with you variations to turn a plain chaffle into all kinds of delicious snacks and sandwiches. This low carb chaffle recipe makes a yummy healthy bread for your meals in less than 5 minutes.
🧇 Great Reasons To Eat Chaffles
I always try to make a few recipes that will meet the special diet needs of friends and family when we have them over for a meal. This chaffle recipe is great for someone on a keto diet or gluten-free diet.
- Chaffles are easy to make with a few simple ingredients.
- This chaffle recipe with almond flour is a healthy keto alternative to regular white sandwich bread.
- The combinations of flavors you can add to the batter are endless.
- Chaffles are a great gluten-free alternative when making sandwiches.
What Ingredients You Will Need
When making this white bread keto chaffle recipe, there are only a few simple ingredients needed that are usually found in your pantry.
- Egg: It is best to use a large grade A egg. If your egg is small, I suggest using two.
- Almond flour: Be sure to use fine ground almond flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour.
- Mayonnaise: Mayo adds moisture to our chaffle and a creamy flavor. I’m a southern girl who likes to use Dukes Mayonaise but you can use any good quality mayo for this recipe.
- Baking powder: Be sure your baking powder is fresh by checking the expiration date. If it gets old, it will not make your chaffles fluff up when cooking.
❓Which waffle maker should I use?
To make my almond flour chaffles, I use a Dash, which comes in several colors and is really easy to clean. I like the light on top that lets you know when they are done too.
Look at this fun Dash. Pineapple-impressed chaffles would make a great summertime sandwich or snack.
How To Make Chaffles Without A Waffle Maker
If you do not have a small waffle maker, you could make these in a nonstick fry pan. melt a little butter in your pan over medium-high heat. Pour half of the almond flour batter into a side of the pan. Then pour the other half next to it. They will be more like pancakes. However, you can still use them as keto sandwich bread.
🧇 How To Make 5-Minute Almond Flour Keto Chaffles
With a few simple ingredients and this basic recipe, you can make a quick white bread substitute.
- Preheat your Dash mini waffle maker.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg until well beaten.
- Stir in the almond flour and baking powder.
- Next, add the mayonnaise and water. Mix well.
5. Spray the waffle maker with non-stick spray and pour half of the batter in. Close the lid and allow it to cook for about 3 minutes, or watch for the automatic timer on top of the waffle maker to turn off. For crispy chaffle, leave for 30-45 minutes more.
6. Repeat for the second wonder waffle
🪄 Substitutions For Allergies
Eggs: If you don’t want to use eggs, you can make flax eggs. Stir together 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp water and let sit for 15 minutes to thicken. Add in the recipe as you would an egg.
Flour: This recipe calls for almond flour. However, you could use coconut flour, 100 % whole wheat flour, or other favorite flour. The taste might be different, however.
🧇Yummy Ways To Eat A Chafle
When you make this low-carb chaffle recipe, it’s easy to create a variety of snacks and sandwiches. Here you will find a few add-ins to make your basic recipe do a happy dance in your mouth.
- Breakfast sandwiches: Add bacon bits to the batter and sprinkle cheese on the batter before closing the lid to cook.
- Wonder Bread Chaffle Sub: Spread a little mustard, lay on your favorite cold cuts, and top with lettuce and tomatoes.
- BLT: Add bacon bits to the batter. Then make a sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes.
- BBQ: Add 1/8 teaspoon of BBQ Coffee Rub to the batter. After cooking, pile on some Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken. Top with bbq sauce and pickles
- Cinnamon Chaffle: Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar in the batter. When they are done cooking, sprinkle a little more on the top.
- Mexican Chaffle: Add 1/4 teaspoon of Homemade Mexican Seasoning or Sazon Seasoning to the batter. Sprinkle cheese on top of the batter before closing the lid after they are cooked, and top with Taco Meat, Baja Sauce, and Green Tomato Salsa.
- Hamburger: Chaffles make a great burger bun. Sprinkle sesame seeds on the batter before closing the lid to cook.
- Thai Chaffle: Add 1/8 teaspoon of Thai Seasoning to the batter. Then shred Thai Grilled Chicken.
- Garlic Bread Chaffle: Add 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt to the batter. Sprinkle cheese on top of the batter before closing the lid.
- Dessert Chaffles: 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract and a teaspoon of favorite sugar substitute. Top with fruit.
- Classic PBJ: Chaffles are delicious with peanut butter and jelly. A perfect quick snack or breakfast.
All About Chaffles Tips and Questions
Chaffles are a keto alternative to sandwich bread. They were named within the keto community because they were originally made with almond flour and cheese. They cooked on a mini waffle iron that was the size of a slice of bread.
Not all recipes for chaffles are keto. This wonder bread chaffle recipe has egg, mayonnaise, and almond flour, so it is keto-friendly.
Many recipes use a whole egg, which gives an eggy taste to your chaffle bread. For this recipe, I suggest using 2 egg whites to give you a soft bread flavor.
You could also sprinkle a little cheddar cheese over the chaffle batter just before you close the lid to cook. This helps cut the egg flavor, also.
You can keep chaffles from sticking by giving your small waffle iron a quick spritz of coconut oil on the top and bottom plates of the waffle iron. You could also use other light oils, such as avocado oil or olive oil.
You can make chaffles crispy. First, cook them in your mini waffle maker until the done light goes on. Then allow them to cook for 30 to 40 more seconds to make them crispier.
Make A Big Batch So You Have Leftovers
If your days get busy, then here is a tip to make your meal time easier. Make a big batch of this almond flour chaffle recipe. That way, you only need to reheat and eat for a quick snack or sandwich on the go.
How to store leftover chaffles
Let your chaffles cool, then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. I like to layer a piece of paper towel or parchment paper between each chaffle so they do not stick together.
📆 How long can chaffles keep in the fridge?
If you keep your chaffles in an air-tight container, they will remain fresh tasting for up to a week in your refrigerator.
❄️ Can you freeze leftover chaffles?
Yes, you can freeze chaffles. Be sure to allow them to cool after cooking. Then place them in a freezer bag, with a piece of parchment paper between each one. This will ensure they don’t stick together when you are ready to serve them. They should be good for up to a month in the freezer.
To serve, pop the frozen chaffle in the toaster on defrost heat cycle. You could also put them in a preheated 350-degree oven until warmed.
How do I reheat wonder bread chaffles?
You can reheat keto chaffles in the toaster, toaster oven, or conventional oven at 350 degrees. The toaster is the fastest and easiest way.
#️⃣ Need to make a big batch? I can help. In the recipe card below, all you have to do is tap 2X to double or 3x to triple this recipe. The amounts for each ingredient will change, then hit the print button. Or, if you prefer, slide over the sleep mode tab to prevent your phone screen from going dark. It’s that easy!
5 Minute Wonder Bread Chaffle Recipe with Almond Flour (Keto)
Note: Be sure to read through the recipe’s post for tips and details about this recipe.
- 1 egg, large
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat your Dash mini waffle maker.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg until well beaten.1 egg
- Stir in the almond flour and baking powder.3 tablespoons almond flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Next, add the mayonnaise and water. Mix well.1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon water
- Spray the waffle maker with non-stick spray and pour half of the batter in. Close the lid and allow it to cook for about 3 minutes, or watch for the automatic timer on top of the waffle maker to turn off. For crispy chaffle, leave for 30-45 minutes more.
- Repeat for the second wonder waffle