If you want a quick and delicious healthy snack, you will want to make this Crispy Air Fryer Chickpea Recipe. You will get a crunchy salty snack ready in 15 minutes, and all you need is a can of healthy chickpeas, seasoning, and your air fryer.
Chickpeas are great legumes to cook with when trying to follow a healthy diet. They make great snack food like these BBQ Roasted Chickpeas. They are great in soups like Roasted Carrot and Chickpeas and Vegetable Chowder. They can even be the star of a salad like this Chickpeas Salad With Pesto and Feta. or Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas Salad.
😊 Why this recipe is so good
- You can have a crispy snack in under 15 minutes when baking chickpeas in an air fryer.
- This snack is really good for you! One cup of air fryer chickpeas equates to a serving of needed protein.
- Guiltless snacking! Chickpeas are a great source of folate, antioxidants, B group vitamins, calcium, phosphorous, zinc, and magnesium.
- You can easily make new flavors by changing up the seasonings to your liking for a delicious snack.
- Using an air fryer is 3x faster than roasting chickpeas in the over. They will become your new favorite snack.
🛒 Ingredient notes
These crispy chickpeas only require a can of chickpeas and a few ingredients for seasoning.
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt: You can adjust the salt to your liking
1/4 paprika: smoked or regular paprika would be good
A complete list of ingredients and measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Tip: What type of chickpeas should I buy?
You can buy chickpeas dried or the canned variety that are precooked. I also have a post that teaches you how to home can your own chickpeas. Canning your own chickpeas yields a softer chickpea because you can control the processing time.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Preheat the air fryer temperature to 375 degrees.
1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a strainer under running cool water.
2. Place drained chickpeas on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel, then pat off any excess water.
3. Combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and paprika in a small bowl.
Next, place the chickpeas in a medium bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss gently to coat the chickpeas.
Sprinkle half of the seasoning over the chickpeas. Toss gently. Sprinkle the rest of the seasoning and toss to coat evenly.
4. Pour the chickpeas into a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Cook in the air fryer for 10 minutes. Then remove the basket and shake the basket a couple of times. Return the basket to the air fryer and cook for 5 more minutes.
⭐ Hint: Air fryer cooking time can be slightly different, so you might need to add a few minutes or shorten a few minutes of the total cooking time. The crunchy chickpeas are done when golden and slightly darkened. They will be dry and crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.
Crispy air fryer chickpeas are easy to make in any good air fryer. Check out this sleek white COSORI Air Fryer Max. It has an automatic shake timer and looks good sitting on your counter.
Once you learn how to make this basic recipe in your air fryer, you will want to try to change up the spice blend on your seasoned chickpeas. An easy way to change up the flavors is to substitute the seasoning in this recipe for one of these. Just toss in olive oil and add seasoning.
How to store crispy chickpeas
After you cook your chickpeas, you will need to keep any leftover chickpeas in a paper bag for storage. An airtight container will work, but the bag will help keep the crispy texture for up to a week.
Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same beans. Even though the names are different, they both refer to ta plant in the legume category with the scientific name Cicer Arietinum.
Chickpeas are really good for you because a one-cup serving is packed with a full serving of protein. They are a great source of folate, antioxidants, B group vitamins, calcium, phosphorous, zinc, and magnesium.
Chickpeas can aid in a weight loss diet because they are rich in miners, vitamins, and fiber. One cup of chickpeas has 269 calories, aids good digestion, and reduces your disease risk.
Do chickpeas lose nutrients when roasted?
Chickpeas do not lose a significant amount of nutrients when cooked. They are a great source of healthy vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber, even cooked.
More delicious recipes for snacks
Love a recipe you've tried? 😋 Please give it a star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. Stay in touch with me through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
🎉 Be sure and sign up to get your free Snack Attack Ecookbook I'll send it right to you and keep you up to date with all that is happing on Intentional Hospitality
Crispy Air Fryer Chickpea Recipe (Healthy Snack Ideas)
Need an ingredient to make this recipe? Click this Instacart button and get what you need sent right to you.
- Preheat the air fryer temperature to 375 degrees.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a strainer under running cool water.
- Place drained chickpeas on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel, then pat off any excess water.
- Combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Next, place the chickpeas in a medium bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss gently to coat the chickpeas.
- Sprinkle half of the seasoning over the chickpeas. Toss gently. Sprinkle the rest of the seasoning and toss to coat evenly.
- Pour the chickpeas into a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook in the air fryer for 10 minutes. Then remove the basket and shake the basket a couple of times. Return the basket to the air fryer and cook for 5 more minutes.
Need an item in the this recipe? Click the Instacart button and have it sent right to you.